My 20mnth old son hasnt spoken or even tried to say any words at all, has anyone had toddlers like this?

My son is 20 mnths old but really is like 18mnths because he was born 2mths early. He hasnt said a single word, he babbles and yells, but not even an attempt to repeat anything we tell him or to say mama or daddy, nothing at all I am starting to get worried and am wondering what can I do to help him, and am wondering if anybody has had a child like this?

tashinaj6

Asked by tashinaj6 at 1:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• according to "toddler 411' by Denise Fields and Ari Brown M.D. your son should be at about the 18 month mark for the development check list seeing as he was 2 months early and he should have said mama dada, he should be pointing and grunting his wants,he should learn about 3 words besides mama and dada by 20.5 months so like 22.5 for your premi so dont worrie he still has time if he isnt doing these then you should talk to your doc
    motherofnikolai

Answer by motherofnikolai at 1:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I would talk to your DR. About this. He might just need a little speach therapy. My nephew wasnt talking very much at 2yrs at all.......They went to the Dr. and learned he was tounge tied!
    Boys do develop slower than girls, but I have heard speech therapy with boys works complete miracles!
    loriloriaustin

Answer by loriloriaustin at 2:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I would deffiently talk with his dr and have him eveluated. My son was not talking and they started speech therapy on him at 15 months.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My Daughter is 23 months today, she hardly ever speaks. The doc told us that she is being lazy. She has figured out to use gestures to get what she wants. We have started trying to get her to say words but she still only says a few words. You are right to worry though, but my advice would be to ask the doctor at his next checkup. Let the doc know if he gestures, grunts, how much he babbles. Reading to my daughter a lot has helped some. But talk to your doc and see what he says, If you are worried when the doc says not to, take him to another doc and see what he says....
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 10:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• see if theres water in ur childs ears
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 3:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2008