i am so scared of delivery I am 38 weeks and it's getting really close any advice to calm my fears?

kaydee8

Asked by kaydee8 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've got a C section scheduled for next thursday......so I know how you feel!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Just relax and get as much sleep as possible. keep picturing holding your baby that is what really calmed my fears. and congrats on the baby

Decker

Answer by Decker at 8:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's not too late to hire a doula who will be able to help you cope. There is way too much you need to know about coping with labor for me to type it all out here, but just know that women have been doing this since the dawn of mankind. You have a lineage of many, MANY generations of women who were able to successfully give birth, so take a deep breath and take heart from the fact that you're not the first one to do this. In fact, there will be thousands of other women laboring right along with you the world over!

((Hugs)) You can do this!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Just relax. The more stressed you are, the harder you will make it on yourself hun. Before you know it, you'll be holding a beautiful little baby in your arms! If you're afraid of pain, don't let them give you Pitocin if your contractions are going like they should be. The contractions were bearable and regular for me but the nurse wanted to "speed things up". I couldn't handle the contractions after she gave me that. Get your bag and everything you'll need ready now so that will be one less thing to worry about when the time comes. Have your birth plan ready as well. As long as you're not having any complications, they will follow your wishes. Best of luck and congratulations!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I couldn't wait to give birth, because in the last trimester the baby grows at such an enormous rate, and it got uncomfortable for me to keep carrying the baby. I was relieved when I had finally given birth. Don't get me wrong, giving birth takes work, but it's all worth it when they hand you the most precious little joy of your life all cleaned up and wrapped in a blanket. It's quite an incredible experience. Congrats in advance!
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I remember being scared with my first. But I was pretty resigned to the fact that the baby has to come out. It will be a great experience for you and when they hand you your baby, you will forget everything that just happened.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Take a preparation for childbirth class really calmed my fears. Honestly, labor and delivery are a hell of a lot easier than parenting!!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My advice to you is that all the pain you will endure during childbirth is totally worth it in the end, when you get to hold that precious little baby for the first time you will not remember all that pain to help him or her to get into this world. I wish you the best of luck with everything...And dont feel dumb asking for drugs to help ease the pain during your contractions.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• youll be fine.. i just had a baby 3 weeks ago so i know what ur gonna go through at least ur gonna be full terms.. my baby was 3 months early but youll be fine and im not gonna lie....it hurts like a bitch but its well worth it...
    mamamtobe

Answer by mamamtobe at 9:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• True, it's not to late to do some very important preparation.
    The doula is the best: most coverage, help, etc. But there are (online) classes, books, articles, birth videos, etc that can REALLY help a lot.

Getting confident and educated can help immensely, there is time for this. You could have a month or so left...

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010