Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Child support.

Here I go. I broke up with my son's dad on Feb. it has been 5 months and he had told me that he is not going to give anything for our son. He stated that our son is taken care when he is with him. I asked him for $125.00 in a weekly basis. So, we can do this in a voluntary way. he stated he is not going to give a Dime. and that I could go to cort the next day. My question is; Does it take long an NYC when you file a petition for child support? what do I have to bring with me? How did it go when you did it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • it took my friend a long time she went to her own lawyer when she was preg. the chlid is now 15 months she has not seen a dime she took him to court and he didn't follow the order so they took him back and just yesterday they went to court he now is sitting in jail till he comes up with 2000 some odd dollars I don't think they are doing back pay just since april they had a hard time finding him b/c his job lied for him

    Answer by Shannon706 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Whatever, it takes.... I would go to court.

    He is being a ASS !

    Answer by SissyAnn141 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • call your local child support agency and ask them what you need. from this point on keep it professional and go through the child support system

    Answer by 3xangel at 11:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • If you have information about his income, where he works, SS # and things like that, it shouldn't take long. However if that information has to be recovered, it will take more than likely, at least a few months.

    Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I would use the State's Child Support Attorney. It's cheap and easy. Not sure how long it will take. My x refused to pay and would do his jail time and get out then still wouldn't pay. It took me 30 yrs to get my child support arrears. Good luck.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • They will send u a letter to let u know what u have to bring.I really don't know how long it takes. Good luck.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 1:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.