Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does child support have anything to do with how often you have your child, or the amount of time you are taking care of them?

For example, if a couple divorces and they have joint custody, would that automatically qualify a woman for child support? If a man raised the child, would she have to pay child support to him for their child?....


Asked by CAGirl4 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 22 (13,438 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • It depends on how the custody/child support terms are written up, in the decree.

    Answer by offrdngal at 8:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • It depends on the laws of the state you were divorced in and what the custody agreement says. The parent with the primary resident (who they live with the majority of the time) is the person who will get the child support.

    Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • yes and yes..i believe

    Answer by rileymommy at 8:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Child support is paid to who ever is considered the Custodial Parent parent is, so the Non Custodial Parent would have to pay child support. Now if they share 50/50 then it would be up to the judge on how that works.Hope all that made sense and answered your questions or some of it.

    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Yeah.....if they have joint custody and she makes less than him he has to pay a small amount of child support (since they have them an equal amount of time). However if they both make around the same amount neither one pays child support. If he has them more time than the mother she will pay child support, just like if the mother has them more than the father pays child support.

    Answer by colethky at 8:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I understand. I don't hear of many moms having to pay a father child support even though they may have joint custody....I always hear of the men having to pay for their children.....

    Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • When you have joint custody, child support it payed to who the judge grants the child lives with legally, I dont remember what its called, its something of residence. That means, thats the childs adress, and then other parent has to return the child when the parent it lives with says so. (Curfews etc). If the child lives with the father, mom has to pay child support.

    My sons father doesnt always have my son and we have joint custody. He lives with me, and my son comes back when I say he does.

    Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • You're right, normally the man is the one to pay......after all, it's a mans world and they normally make more than women. But it does happen. When I worked at a grocery store there was a father that worked there, he had 2 kids and he raised them. The mother wanted out of their lives. She paid him child support and refused to see her boys.

    Answer by colethky at 8:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • When my parents divorced 20 yrs. ago my brother and i decided to live with my dad. She had to pay child support. Even spent five days in jail for non payment. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. At least that's what I was always told.

    Answer by zadesmom1998 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • My friend is a woman and she pays child support to the children's father because he is the primary custodial parent and she gets visitation. Child support is paid regardless if you get to visit the children or not.

    Answer by coutterhill at 9:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010