How far in advance do you have to contact the court to stop child support when the child turns 18?

My stepdaughter turns 18 in a year and then we no longer have to pay child support but she will be kept on our insurance while she is in college. But I don't how far in advance to contact the court. Has anyone had experience with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• You don't. Once she graduates high school or turns 18 they will send a letter for it to be stopped.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• As far as I know child support is paid until 19 years of age....
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• mrsmamaj, it depends on the court order. In Tx it is only till they are 18 or the year they are suppose to graduate high school.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I thought that you had to pay until they are 21. At least in NY you do. check your local laws I guess or call the court and ask.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Don't they have her birthdate on file already? I don't think you have to send in any notification
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• In WI it is until 18 or until 19 if they are still in high school. When my step son turned 18 we received a letter that it would end on the last day of the moth that he turned 18, we didn't have to do anything.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010