If you have a Paraguard IUD what are the pros and cons?

My Dr wants me to stop taking the pill and get an IUD but I am nervous and would like to hear from women who have one.
Thanks

caitelinn

Asked by caitelinn at 1:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Health

• I have the paraguard. This is my second one. The first worked great between babies one and two, we actually concieved within 48 hours of having it removed. I've had this one in for two years. I like that there is no mess, no fuss, no pills to remember, worry free birth control for 10 years. My only side effect has been slightly heavier periods. I did spot a lot for the first couple months after I got the first one put in. Insertion is uncomfortable but not painful and there is some cramping afterwards, take some ibuprofen before you go into the office to have it done. The potential problems from an IUD sound really scary, but the odds of them actually happening are comparable to the odds of serious complications like strokes from hormonal bc's.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i had it, took it out after 2 years cause my periods started to get really weird (normal one month, and then 2 weeks long the next) in the last 6 months. before that happened though i loved it. i got it cause i cant handle the hormones used in other forms of bc.
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have a 5 year IUD and I LOVE it! I have had it for a year and since 4 months ago I haven't had a period, and thats normal. I have had NO bad side effects besides when you first get it, you bleed for a day or two. I have no regrets about my IUD. All ppl are different tho. Not to be offensive but my husband and I have not used protection for over and year and have had no problems. To me the IUD is great and I would recommend it to anyone!
    G-MansMama

Answer by G-MansMama at 2:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Thank you ladies
    caitelinn

Answer by caitelinn at 12:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2008