how importian is giving rice cereal first? can i give my 4 month old veggies first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I skipped rice and went straight to veggies. Started with sweet potatoes. Now my son gets sweet potatoes, squash, pears, apples, and oatmeal. All pediatrician recommended.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I didn't give anything till way past six, almost seven months, and then we did veggies first.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• as long as you stick to 1 at a time for a few days each to check for reactions, you should be just fine.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I gave my kids both
    faithhopeclan2

Answer by faithhopeclan2 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• We waited until DS was 6 months, but yes you can skip cereal. I even recomend it. Cereal has no nutritional value and can be very constipating.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I didn't introduce food until both of my children were over 7 months old. It is not an important source of nutrition up until after a year, and before that it is only for tasting and for fun. So, my answer to your question would be no, rice cereal is not importat at all. :) I personally just gave my kids actual rice mixed with breast milk or pureed fruit or veggie after they were old enough to eat it themselves. Here is a great article about how to tell if your child is ready for foods, as well as great suggestions for first foods. I still use this site all the time with two toddlers at home. :)

squish

Answer by squish at 9:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Rice cereal isn't necessary and really there are MUCH better options. you are right to want to skip it. Go ahead and go for the veggies first but I would wait until at LEAST 6 months. I didn't start my daughter on solids until 7 months. She ended up hating the texture of baby food so we went straight to finger foods. I am SO glad because baby food is a pain! lol
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well, they advise on giving rice cereal first because it is easier to digest...so its good for a first food. But some babies don't even like it. You can try mixing it with formula or with a little apple or pear juice mixed with water to give it a little more flavoring.
    But really...everyone does things differently so just do some research and decide what you think is best for you and the baby.
    :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• There is really no need for cereal! I also went straight to veggies, but not until at least 8 months... I wouldn't suggest starting any child on solids before 6. Prior to that their bodies just aren't ready for solids and harm can be done to the digestive system as well as other things.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010