Is it all for nothing?

Next week my 2 year old goes in for ear tubes. We had 7 ear infections in 7 months and when he was assessed by the county, his language skills were that of a 14 month old. I keep hearing (no pun intended) that with the tubes I will have a totally different child and he will begin talking and putting words together. My fear is that we have come this far and they wont do anything. Should I be worried or am I really doing whats best for my son?

actingout

Asked by actingout at 9:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if his hearing has been effected by the infections, then you are doing the right thing with the tubes. IMHO

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My friend's son didn't say much. He got tubes and it was like a whole new world opened up to him. He kept saying more and more new things and we could understand him. It was well worth it!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• thanks! I needed the reassurance :)
    actingout

Comment by actingout (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son got his tubes at 12 months so I'm not sure it made a big difference. In fact the tubes haven't worked and now they want to take his adnoids, but he is a little motor mouth, so maybe if I hadn't put them in it wouldn't be the case. My little brother had this problem though and I remember him not being able to make words the right way. He got better after the tubes. I would definitely do the surgery. It has to make it better.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My neice has them and shes 3 almost 4. she is a completely different child. My sister was concerned that they would bother her, she doesnt even notice them. half the time you couldnt understand what she was saying. but now she speaks clear as can be. You're doing the right thing
    prego_jessi

Answer by prego_jessi at 10:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Our kids have seen the chiropractor for fluid in the ears. It will never drain properly if everything isn't lined up correctly. Our one daughter failed a school hearing test and it was found that she had a lot of fluid in her ear. We went to the ear/nose/throat Dr. he treated her with claritin and antibiotics. A month later we had her adjusted at the chiropractor a couple times and she's never had the first bit of ear problems since. I would never put tubes in my childs ears until I had totally exhausted all efforts of a chiropractor. The same goes for ear infections. It's caused simply by the fluids not being able to properly drain and it gets infected. Our youngest to see the chiro was about 7 or 8 months old. My husband saw a newborn come in when he was there getting his adjustment. You could at least look into it before making your final decision.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I will give you a huge amount of hope with my personal story. I was a child who had horrible ear infections ALL THE TIME when I was little. Well, during the time you learn speech, I heard everything in a mumble ( I also had a bad studdering problem on top of that). That is how I spoke. I was really far behind on speech. No one but my mom could understand me. Doctor said it was from the ear infections and I didnt learn the launguage correctly because I was not hearing it right. I went into kindergarten and was sent home at the end of the first day with a letter safety pinned to me. It told my parents that they were going to start me in speech class. I was in speech all through Kindergarten, 1st grade and half of 2nd grade. When I first started, they didnt think I was going to talk correctly ever. After my last bit in speech class I was all better. I talk in a nice, clear voice, I no longer studder. Now they start kids a lot ear
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Continued...earlier if they are that delayed. There is hope, it may take time to get him caught back up but kids are like spounges and it will amaze you how fast they can learn and re-learn things. If you have any more questions, you can just shoot me a message. Talking to me now, you would never had quess that troubles I had when I was a little kid. No mumbles, no studders.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Did you try elliminating dairy from his diet (for about 3 months)? It's been the thing that's cleared up glue ear in several children I've heard of. Sorry if it's already too late for that. Maybe it's something you could consider if the op isn't as helpful as you'd like. Best wishes.
    Mrs.Crunchy

Answer by Mrs.Crunchy at 4:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I will not eliminate dairy, nor will I take him to a chiro at this age....sorry...just not that type of mom
    actingout

Comment by actingout (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010