I'm 16 and possibly pregnant my boyfriend is 19 can he get arrested?

I am going to take a test next week. Me and him have talked about if i am definitely pregnant we are keeping the baby we just need to know how much trouble he will get in. We live in New York state.

hosmer

Asked by hosmer at 10:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Actually for NY the laws are:
    First-degree rape to have sexual intercourse with someone (1) less than age 11 or (2) less than age 13 if the actor is age 18 or older (2-25 year sentence)
    Second-degree rape for anyone age 18 or older to engage in sexual intercourse with someone under age 15. The fact that the offender was less than four years older than the victim at the time of the act is an affirmative defense. (up to 7 years in prison)
    Third-degree rape for anyone age 21 or older to have sexual intercourse with someone under age 17 (up to 4 years in prison)

Because your age is less than 3 years apart, you're bf is actually in the clear. You are over 15 so it doesn't fall into 2nd degree, he's not over 21 so it's not third degree.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• What are your parent's feelings about him?? YOU would be the one to press charges ,,,if they know you are dating him and choose not to, but if your not PG<,please get on BC and wait!!!!!! If they hate him,, and don't know you have been dating himt, then they can press charges, but hopefully with a baby on the way they will give you support!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• What can I be charged with if I have sexual contact with someone who is less than 17 years old?

Ultimately, it is up to a New York prosecutor in the District Attorney's office to determine what charges will be filed. There are a variety of factors built into the law that prosecutors use to make their determination. A very general outline is provided below based only on the age factors. For more detailed information visit the links at the end of this article.

An adult age 18-20 with a person at least 15 years of age but less than 17 may be charged with a violation of 130.20 Sexual Misconduct. This is a Class A Misdemeanor.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• LoriaAnn is right. In most states the age of consent is 16. But, if it turns out to be a false finding, then geez girl, get on birth control!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am pretty sure he would only get in trouble if your parents went to the police about it.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• lol@ pp...im too lazy to check for u because im on my phone, but jus google statutory rape and new york...in most states the age of consent is 16 so he wouldnt get in any trouble
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It depends on your state. In some states the age of consent is 16, in which case No, your boyfriend can't be arrested. BUT, if you're in a state where the AOC is 18, yes, he can... And things can get kinda messy... Sorry, but that's how it works.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• LOL LoriaAnn - that's where I got the info I posted. Yay for google!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am not too sure about that. You need to research your state.. But you need to know that in most statutory rape cases, it is NOT up to the minor's parents to press charges.. The state does it automatically.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Here are the AOCs for each state, you'll have to scroll past the other countries.

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010