Why aren't more Christians poor?

If we are to try and imitate Jesus, then why aren't more Christians poor? The bible is pretty clear on giving, but if we are truly trying to be Christ-like then shouldn't we give all of our excess? Just curious...

natural.mama

Asked by natural.mama at 10:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Live simply so others can simply live"
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• That's another one of those sins that don't count, like pride and gluttony. Seems the only thing anyone really cares about is who sleeps with whom and how.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I can not answer this question bc I am "poor" in the money sense. Because of God we have what we need and no more. I am rich other wise :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• what's Christ-like about giving away all you possess? can you tell me when He did this, to set the example? in fact, the only time i remember anyone quoting Him saying to 'take up your cross and follow me'..he was referring to excuses others had offered as reasons they couldn't be diciples 'at that time'...if i'm not mistaken.
    its more of a heart attitude, than your financial situation. some have, and some have less. does that make one person more worthy of the Cross of Christ, or less likely to love his neighbor as himself?
    guess i'm just not following your line of curiousity...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Being a Christian doesn't mean we have to be poor, just the opposite. Jesus came to give us life & life more abundant. God blesses us so that we can, in turn, bless others. Many of those who are Christians have made bad decisions with the money God has blessed them with & so as a natural consequence, they are lacking financially. When you make stupid financial decisions, you suffer financially. Don't blame God for the fact that you're not rich. He gives to us in proportion to what we can be trusted with. If you can't properly handle a little money, why should you be given a lot of money to waste. When someone properly manages a small amount, it will continue to increase.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's not a sin to be rich or even not suffering financially.

I'm always amazed by the ideas people have come up with as to how a christian is supposed to live. There are so many ways we can be christ like and sometimes having "extra" is helpful is allowing you to be Christ like. When a women at church is thrown out by her husband you can offer her and her children that extra room you have in your home.

I don't think God wants us to be miserable. I think he just wants us to use our means for good.

Also another thought....Some religions that identify themselves as christian religion believe in working to become very high on the scale both financially and in society because they believe they will be rewarded when they get to heaven.

I really think it's quite unfair to lump all christians into one group because our beliefs can vary so greatly.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• King David wasn't poor.

God liked him okay.

Maybe.when we all see Him, we can ask Him.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Nothing wrong with accumulating wealth- The sin is being stingy and lacking compassion for those in need and , in addition,being totally judgmental along the way. Leave the judging to someone on a higher level.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am floored by this question! Do you honestly believe God wants His children to be poor?
    He wants us to be wise stewards with what we are given.
    I encourage you to do word studies on how the word Poor is used.
    Remember the sermon on the mountain when Jesus said Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven? This verse talks about our spirit and when we are blessed we become rich in the Kingdom. It does not talk about being physically poor. Jesus also said this:Matt 26:30But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! 31"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'32"For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.33"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Well, I for one am stumped by this question. I just dropped my dd off for her Wednesday night teen bible study group. I drive from our crappy apartment and drive up the hill to the super rich mansion houses for her teen meeting. These houses are amazing. Like right out of Beverly Hills and since they are up on this hill they overlook all of the county. On the one hand I feel very blessed to have this family open their home to our kids from our church. On the other hand, it is hard driving up there every week to drop her off. That is a life we will never know, with luxuries we will never see. Are they good people? Yes, they really are for opening their home up. Should they be allowed to be Christians and have this kind of home and life style? Im going to say yes here.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010