Have you had a Gallstone?

Tell me has anyone had to deal with a gallstone? Did you take anything natural to help it go away or did you elect to have surgery? If so how do you feel knowing that they go away on their own if you take artichoke and drink lemon with water daily!

emmidr

Asked by emmidr at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Health

• I had gallstones...my gallbladder is now removed.... but..I didn't want the operation so against my Dr's wishes... I ate a low fat diet for over a year and kept the attacks away....but it was inevitable ..I had to get it out..........the last gall bladder attack was so bad hours on end in pain with no letting up. But thats the best you can do ...without getting it out..............watch your fat intake.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• There is nothing natural to make them go away..
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• YES!! It happened to me about 12 years ago. Initially, of course, I did not know what it was. When I had bad pains, I laid down, they went away, and I got up to do things again until the pain started, then I would lay back down. Well, I took my boys to the park during one of the good moments, and of course, I had the worst pain that I have had since it began. I ended up driving myself to the hospital, and unbelievingly stayed there about three days, maybe four, until THEY found out what it was, then I had the surgery, and stayed about two days after that. Never heard about the remedies that you mention. I guess I could have told you that up front instead of putting you through my story..sorry.
    sixeyes

Answer by sixeyes at 10:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes I developed them while pregnant went on a low fat/pretty much no fat diet to try and wait untill after my son was born to have it removed..lost 30 lbs and was having horrible attacks after eating a meal with only 4 or 5 grams of fat. So I had it removed at 18 weeks of pregnacy.

I don't think anything can actually make them disappear...they do sometimes blast them with some kind of sonogram or something that breaks them up so they can pass through, but nothing disolves them..
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Not a stone but did have my gall bladder taken out lapriscopically.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I was told by a Dr in the emergency room that Gall stones shrink and ist why they pass out of the gall bladder. So if shrunken stones pass thru as he said they do and go out into the bowels, why operate? And after the pain? And why do people get the surgery after the pain? Because you get the pain as they push out of the gall bladder. I just want to understand why go thru surgery? Because I ehar everyone who has had the surgery ahs more problems after the surgery and that they still have to watch their diet. No fats. So why operate?
    emmidr

Comment by emmidr (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I had mine out in 1999. The gallstones were the worst pain I've ever had, worse than labour. I have not had any problems since having it out. I don't have to watch my diet and the day or so of discomfort after the surgery (I had it done laprascopically) was nothing compared to the mildest attack I had. My question is why wouldn't you want to have it out? I live a perfectly normal life with no dietary restrictions, no problems, no issues. Before I had it out - low fat diet which did not prevent all attacks, trips to the ER because of the pain, nausea from the pain, unable to hold my son because of the pain - it was just all around bad. I have no regrets and would make the same choice again.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I had mine taken out right after having my son, its a common thing they say, i had a stone get stuck, so I ended up having 2 surgerys back to back, it hurt so much, and trying to take care of a new born on top of it all.
    tamithy

Answer by tamithy at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010