How can i get my baby to sleep through the night!?!

I have tired it all... We have a very solid routine every single night, veggies,warm tubbie, rocking chair time and either bottle or breast . Yet my son is going on 9 mths and still to this day he is getting up 4 times a night... People tell me it gets better but its not. We tired just giving him formula at night... nope same thing. We play soft lullabies in his room. Keep the room dark no bring lights... and tonight Im finally trying that restless baby formula... im dying here... any more suggestions... plus i feel horrible just letting him cry it out.. my boyfriend watched the Doctors show and saw that your not suppose to let him cry for over 15 mins ... I just dont know what to do anymore :(

Candi2111

Asked by Candi2111 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go buy the book or get it at the library... "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy child" it does call for a CIO method but my kids have never cried for more than 15 min at a time and my son who is 2 has slept through the night since we did the books suggestions at 10 months. DD is 4 months and only gets up 1-2 times to eat and go right back to bed. She has slept through the night 3 times so far too :) Good luck!! Its worth the read!!
    lilmansmom13

Answer by lilmansmom13 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You have to decide if crying it out is what is best. My LO has slept through the night since she was 12 weeks old. BTW sleeping through the night is a 5 hour or longer stretch. You can let them cry but keep checking on them every 5-10 min and rub the back and soothe, but don't pick them up. Eventually they get the picture and finally start to sleep. If your baby is hungry then he has every reason to wake up and then not go back to sleep. My DD who is 2 will consistently wake up at 1 hour and at 3 hours after going to bed. I go in and give her a hug and put her back to sleep. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Since you are breastfeeding why not just bring him into be with you?That way he can nurse during the night and you can sleep! It is not at all unusual to have a 9 month old who still needs to nurse during the night, my 12mo old still does!

There is a reason why you feel horrible to let him cry, that is your mothering instinct telling you that your child needs you. It DOES get better, just not yet. Hang in there, and find a way to make it work to meet his needs during the night.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I did not have this problem but if I did, I would have just brought my son into my bed with me. He was always a self soother and liked being in his bassinet or crib. Had he not been happy that way I would have just brought him to sleep with me so that I could have him right there to nurse or cuddle. I never let him cry. There is a reason why parents feel horrible when their baby is crying, because it is natural to comfort them, it is not natural to leave them to cry all alone. Good luck, it does get better, all babies are different.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It is very rare for a baby to sleep through the night (defined as six solid hours) before age one.

Cosleeping saved me! It was easy for me to doze/sleep while my daughter nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Your BF is right about not letting him cry for more than 15 minutes......I was wrong to listen to my mother and let my baby cry alot longer than that, and my pediatrician told me she developed a hernia!!!! Does he fall asleep while in the car? and stay asleep when you get him out??? If so, try a car ride at night to put him out......Good luck.
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son didn't sleep through the night until age 10.5 months. My husband went in a few nights to soothe him in his crib instead of me. Because he would smell the milk all over me hehe anyway, it worked.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• im haveing the same problem only mine is 4 lol
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much.

side-carred crib for additional room so tts easy to feed / change return to sleep.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• DeeMarie, me too!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010