Our local Fire dept. has adopted an "Indian" as their mascot...

Our local area was originally founded by Natives. Their tribe was the Monongahela Tribe, and the town is Monongahela, which is on the Monongahela River... So the idea of adopting Native symbolism or whatnot, really isn't a stretch... BUT, the new paint jobs on the Firetrucks actually has the overly stereotypical red faced, feathered headdress Indian on it...

I can't help but feel if there were any Natives still around, they would be a little upset. My DH's mother was half Native (although I don't know what tribe) and he's kind of upset. He sees it as very ignorant and demeaning.

I don't know what I think... I tend to feel it's a very negative portrayal of our Namesake Natives... On the other hand I tend to see it as no different than the Cleveland or Spokane Indian's Baseball teams using the same imagery..

What do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• we are still fighting to have all of these names and images removed. It is derogatory, maybe we should name a team the paleskins?
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 10:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think it is ignorant,and a bit demeaning,but thats just me.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think it's an insult. For the sports teams as well to use that image as a "mascot".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• HaHa... How about naming them "White Men" lol!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would probably laugh if I saw it because of the blatant ignorance of it.

I can easily see why people would find it offensive. There are many, many, many other non-offensive and stereotypical images they could have used.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• As my DH is a Native American (Oneida tribe of Wisconsin) he said he would have to see the picture before knowing if he would be offended. . .
    Personally I think I would disapprove the image without seeing it. . .just because it is a mascot does not mean it has to be comical and demeaning. . .there are plenty portraits of Natives that are beautiful that symbolize the same thing.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 10:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think it's ignorant, just from the sound of it. Now, if they went and researched the Native dress, and faithfully tried to be accurate in their portrayal, then that might be more of an homage and less of a offense.

BTW I used to live near the Monongahela River. :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• well, maybe he could write a letter to the editor of your local paper explaining his dislike of the steriotype and suggest a more respectful image to honor the tribe such asone of their traditional homes or an image used to comemerate a warrior of that tribe.
    littlest.angel

Answer by littlest.angel at 10:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think all mascots of this ilk are offensive. I don't like that any of them are still in use, but it's even worse that this isn't a historic name that folks want to hold onto (like the Washington Redskins or something), but that someone i nthis day and age actually thought this would be a good idea!

I think I heard about a basketball team or something that named themselves The Whities or maybe even The Crackers, something that made a point about how offensive mascots like this are.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Our freakin football team is Indian related- GO CHIEFS... does that mean there are Indians plotting against us.... oh wait, I forgot about the last two seasons...
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010