HOW TO DEAL WITH ONE YEAR OLD WHO THROWS BAD TANTRUMS

HE BITES AND HITS WHEN NOT GIVEN HIS WAY AND SLAMS HIS HEAD INTO STUFF

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG mine does that too! My mom, who is a mother of 4, told me to count to 3 and then put them in time-out! She said just constantly do it and they will get that when the misbehave that they have to deal with punishment. My son is 17 months and I have to do that, he gets mad and laughs at me when I scold him and then will go and hit me in the face or throw something at me...I just sit his little bootie in his crib and let him cry for a few min. and then come and get him and let him know in baby terms thats, that what happens when you misbehave!
    G-MansMama

Answer by G-MansMama at 2:21 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Make the rules VERY clear to your child and try to be 100% consistant. They are basicly begging you to draw very clear lines of right and wrong.
    If you dont send a very clear and stern message of what the basic rules are now, they will be hitting you in the face when they are older too and too out of control for you handle.
    Make a basic set of rules and put it on your fridge "No Biting or harming people, no throwing" add to the list as time goes on n Tell them what rule they are breaking.
    Do not waiver from this list, try to be consistant, the second a rule is broken, give ONE warning, then if it's not stopped go IMMediatly to time out! 1 minute for every year old they are.My daughter threw tamtrums when she was about that age, and now that she's 2 1/2 and we have a very clear set of basic rules, she dosent throw them anymore beacuse she knows 100% what is going to happen if she breaks the rules.
    loriloriaustin

Answer by loriloriaustin at 2:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• oh my 2 yr old still does that and also puts on the cutest little pouty face... i just turn his little butt around and put him in the corner.... it really ticks him off but it is happening less and less
    insanemama732

Answer by insanemama732 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• what i have seen work for my kids, is take them into their room, or anywhere it is safe,and let tm=hem cry, kick, scream, whatever they feel they need to do, let em have the tantrum. then when they feel better, they can come out and get on with life, perhaps talkin to you about t=why they are upset, if they are old enough, or just go on their merry way for young ones
    babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008