Lincoln: What do you think?

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v13/v13n5p-4_Morgan.html

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I can't believe I am saying this, but I have to agree, in part, with gertie41. Lincoln cared about the republic. He said that if freeing the slaves will maintain the republic, then free them. If maintaining slavery will keep the republic, then keep them. He used them as a political tool. Now, the slaves didn't really care how he used them. They understood the outcome, if emancipated, worked in their favor, so influential men like Fredrick Douglas urged him on. The Emancipation Proclamation, when issued, freed no one since the Confederate States didn't recognize anything the US Federal Gov. issued. Lincoln, has risen to the iconic figure, bigger than, life, and evoked for credibility. Oh, he was a republican you know.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Thanks for sort of agreeing with me Jesse. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The past is the past. He was "elevated to sainthood" by writers...he had good PR. But he was a little insane and wasn't really that interested in freeing the slaves,actually. I am through "worshipping" Lincoln and all the so-called wonderful politicians.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010