Delivery at 36-37 weeks

I would like to know how many of you had a baby at 36-37 weeks and that baby didn't have to spend time in the NICU, and got to come home with you. I am 36 1/2 weeks now and I have been having more frequent painfull contractions....they slow down but the longest they stay awa is 2 hours....I am thinking I might be in early labor. I want to know if it is possible to have a healthy baby at this point. FYI I am having a c-section.

Hulkgrrl

Asked by Hulkgrrl at 11:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first was born at 37 weeks, and my second was born at 36 weeks. Both boys stayed with me, and did not have to go to NICU. My youngest was also a c-section and had some mild respiratory distress, more related to the c-section than his age. He had to stay in the nusery away from me for about 4 hours. But both boys were discharged home with me!! Congrats on the upcoming baby!
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i would go to the er
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• yes I delievered a perfectly healthy preemie 33wks. Tiny but healthy. It is definatley possible
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son was born at 36 weeks exactly by emergency c-section. He didn't spend even a second in the NICU, was perfectly healthy, and came home with me when I was discharged.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son was born 37 weeks exactly and was completely healthy.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I went at 37 weeks. . .has there not been other circumstances my DD would have been able to go home straight away without a NICU stay. . . (we had other medical issues that issued the NICU)
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 11:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I delivered both my sons before that. The first was at 35 weeks and the second at 36 weeks. They were both fine and we were home 3 days later.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'd check with your OB.

If it helps, though, I was told that anything 37 weeks and beyond is considered full-term. My OBs said 40-weeks (approximately) is your due date. However, "full-term is 37 weeks to 42 weeks. Anything before that is early. Anything after is late. My blood pressure went up at my 37 week appointment. I was due July 10th (I think. It's been a while so I may be a tad off on that.ha!) I was put on bed rest after that appt. My blood pressure didn't get back into a happy place and so I was induced at the end of the week. I went into the hospital June 28th. My son was born June 30th. He scored as high as can be on his APGAR. He spent no time at all in the NICU. 8 years later he's a healthly, growing boy that alternately melts my hurt and drives me nuts. LOL!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• 37 weeks is full term
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• oops, need to special check before I click send. I mean melts my HEART not hurt. LOL! It's getting late. Should not post after my bed time. ;)

Good luck!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010