Whoopi critized for defending Mel

So, if you defend a friend that says a racist word as not racist, but just boneheaded do you deserve public criticism?

I am not a Gibson fan, but only of his personal persona, I totally love his movies. I dig Whoopie both personally (The View) and her movies. I have been through a divorce and you say the most horrible things to each other, although we never dropped the n-bomb, but we did wish death on each other in extremely heated arguments. I was glad to have friends that defended me, and him. Mutual friends even.

My question is, and obviously I am rambling, is he a racist because in a heated argument he said that to his ex? And does Whoopie defending him absolve him of it, or is she just as deluded as...well...I am? And does she deserve the traitor criticism that she is receiving?

urkiddingright

Asked by urkiddingright at 11:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think Whoopi should be criticized for standing up for a friend, especially in the face of such opposition.  Don't we all wish for such friends?   I don't agree with her, but as was already pointed out I'm getting my information from a media who is being supplied by that information by a scorned woman who isn't exactly a shining star of truth and morality.  

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 7:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• why do you have to defend a jerk like Mel who obviously hates Jews and Blacks?

I didn't defend anyone, I simply pointed out that someone who knows him in person has a better idea what he's like than you do. Would you prefer people you know irl ask those of us on CM what you're really like instead of trusting what they know of you, Lindal err Gertie?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Whoopie has been called out before over things like this. When she was dating Ted Danson she convinced him to go to some Halloween party with her in blackface and all Hell broke loose. I look at it this way - his ex is no prize - she's the one cashing in on these tapes with absolutely no regard for what impact it may have on her own child down the road. Racist or not, this goes beyond what he's said to it being two ugly people and one of those ugly people airing their dirty laundry for cash. That will get lost in this obsession with crucifying the racist. But really, isn't people expecting Whoopie to act a certain way about race issues just because she's black every bit as racist?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Just because someone uses the "n" word, that doesn't make them a racist. People like to cry racist too much over little stupid things. People say a lot of things when they're mad. Just because someone is mad & says, "UGHHH! I'm gonna kill him when he gets home!" or something like that, doesn't mean that person is actually gonna do it & so is a murderer. I don't hear anyone getting all upset about white people being call racial slurs by black people... who cares, it's simple name calling, doesn't necessarily mean anything more.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The rest of his behavior is inexcusable. READ about it.

Yeah, because someone who knows the man personally and considers him a friend doesn't know him anywhere near as well as the paparazzi at TMZ.  Shame on her for not turning to the tabloids to be told how to feel about people she's known for years.eye rolling

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think she would know better than any of us, the kind of person he is. We only know what the media portrays to us and media loves controversy.

I think it's fair to say we have ALL said things in anger that we wouldn't normally say and that we don't actually believe. Last night I told my ex husband that I hate him and that my life would be a hell of a lot better if he just didn't exist.
    Obviously I don't hate him and my life would NOT be better if he didn't exist. I was angry and I spoke in anger. He dished out some pretty hateful things my way too.

I don't know Mel Gibson personally. I do know that he's human and humans err. Whoopi Goldberg knows him on a personal level and is adamant about him not being a racist...I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go with that.

People say stupid, stupid things when they're angry.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think he has mental problems and anger issues. I don't think he's a racist, he just uses poor judgement when he speaks in anger. Hopefully he seeks some help. His career is over, his long marriage is over and now he'll likely not have more than supervised visitation with his little girl.
    Kudos to Whoopie for proofing that forgiveness and understanding go a long way....
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 11:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You know what I find crazy about this too. She is claiming he beat her. Aren't most abusers like that always? Yet you never heard of these stories with his first wife. I mean you heard the drunk rant, but drunks are notorious idiots and seem to find the stupidest things to say. But otherwise I know I have said things and so has my DH in the heat of an argument that I would NOT want to hear played back in a moment of calm. I am not defending him but she comes off like a saint in those tapes because she KNOWS she is taping and that was probably infuriating him MORE! As for Whoopie she know him better than me. If she wants to defend her friend she can...I would too probably.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• He has mental and alcohol issues. I beleive that has impacted his decision making. I really think he needs help.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• He isn't a racist for a word. he is a racist for his beliefs that being raped by blacks was somehow WORSE than whites....or that blacks are just roaming the streets looking for white sluts to rape

He is also a racist for hiw view that JEWS are evil

He believes what his DADDY taught him....We are just hearing it in the last few years...he also called Latinos wetbacks.....he's a peach

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2010