Are you doing something for a living that your family didn't approve of

Some people do things for a living the family didn't approve of. For instance I am a photographer, but some people in my family wanted me to be a nurse. I attempted to do it, to please family but I couldn't accomplish the math requirements and my love for photography peeked again. What about you?

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 11:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Entertainment

• Just about anything below doing work for the Watchtower society is not good enough for my family. I was a stripper - they didn't like that AT ALL! Now I run a Pagan Education Blog and I'm working on an online Metaphysical store and Pagan Education website as well - NONE of that is okay with them. I'm also a P/T wedding planner, which they see as a needless profession.

So yeah, all the way around, I'm a big disappointment... I've just never been one to really care what they think!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am working on my degree in Criminal Justice. I want to be a Juvenille Probation Officer but my family wants me to be a teacher. I actually was almost finished with my teaching degree when I changed my major.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes. In mid-life, I've decided to become a sheet metal apprentice. Since they're not many women in the field, my family has been pushing me to become a nurse. I've been a secretary most of my adult life and they're being phased out. However, I always wanted to know how to work with my hands and am enjoying my highly physical job.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• yup- im a stay at home mom and even though that was the choice my husband and i made and even though we can afford it (yes we struggle but bills get paid and food is on the table) my mother actually had the nerve to tell me i should get a waitressing job! no theres nothing wrong with waitressing and i have done it before but the thing is that my mom always expects me to take the shit (excuse my language) end of the stick- my sisters- she encouraged them to get nursing jobs and teaching jobs- but me i have to be a waitress? no i like my job as a stay at home mom very much thank u!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My family didn't approve when I was so burnt out from college that I went into retail management and they thought I should be in graduate school. I am a stay home mom though and they do approve, finally.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I stay at home. My dad supports it but some of my in-laws have been a bit rude about it. Thankfully, I don't care- I know it's right for us.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I appreciate the comments here. These are all good. I'm not sure which should be best answer. I like them all!!
    Godswk

Comment by Godswk (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010