5 month old her cough

My 5 month old has had a cough since she was born. The pediatrician said it has to do with her cronic heartburn but it seems like its gotten alittle worse and i normally wouldnt worry but my mom has me freaking out that it could be whooping cough. Any suggestions on what i should do?

evas_mama2010

Asked by evas_mama2010 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Find another doctor? A cough for 5 months does not sound normal to me.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Whooping cough is acute not chronic. I would be very concerned about acid reflux so bad that your baby has had this kind of damage. Besides the GI damage the baby can get acid in the lungs and it can cause pneumonia, lung damage, or death. If you aren't breastfeeding have you considered relactating, getting milk from milkshare or a milk bank? La Leche League or a lactation consultant can help with relactation. Sometimes women think they can't breastfeed and they have misinformation.

If your baby hasn't seen a GI doctor then she needs to see one as soon as possible. I would take her to the ER of the nearest children's hospital the next time she is having a bad coughing day. It could be allergies or asthma or some other chronic disease.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Agree with the other two moms. I don't agree with your doctor saying it's relfux (what??? From birth???) No way. If you're formula feeding I'd take a guess your baby is reacting to that. Dairy produces ear, nose and throat irritations (as well as gastric ones).

See another doctor!

Whooping cough is so striking and obvious that it won't be that, I'm sure.
    GentleMam

Answer by GentleMam at 8:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2010