Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Question about savings bonds

I was just looking up info about savings bonds I have had since I was a kid and I plan on cashing them in soon. However I dont know how this stuff works!! My main question is, do I have to fill out some form or let someone know since I have changed my name? Obivously I am married now so my name doesnt match the bond anymore, I just cant find anything to tell me if I need to do something about the name change before I can cash them in!!! The treasury website has a RIDICULOUS amoutn of info on it and I just cant find any answers, so if you know anything please let me know!! Im so lost. =)


Asked by Amanduhpanda at 11:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 13 (1,001 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Ive cashed many a savings take it to any bank, bring your ID your SS# doesn't change- it will just match your married name..but that also matches your license, and your marriage license will show your Maiden name...there are no forms to fill out...

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • if your name is not the same, take your birth certificate, your marriage license, and your photo ID

    I am drawing a blank on if they have you fill out a form, but even if they do, it's not a big drawn out process, just a bit of info.

    you should be able to cash them at any bank.

    They are past their maturity date right?

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • bump

    Answer by txdaniella at 11:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • yup! definitely past maturity date, I just went through and did the whole calculator thing to see how much interest they have made and all that fun stuff, and I just happened to see something about updating information that doesnt match the bonds, and as I am reading this stuff none of it made any sense at all!!! lol I seriously felt like I was reading japanese or something, it was a complete foreign language and they made it seem like it was ridiculously complicated to get things changed and cashed!

    Comment by Amanduhpanda (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Your social security number should be on the bond. Your social security card should be adequate ID to cash the bond, although I'd take along a marriage certificate just in case. I don't remember if you have to fill out a form.

    Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • musicmom08

    Answer by musicmom08 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2010