Should I offer to meet IRL?

There's a woman in a few of the groups I'm in. I've never been very impressed by her. She and I seem to have opposing views on certain subjects, some that I'm quite passionate about. I know that online we only have what we can read to judge a person's character/personality/intelligence. The way she writes indicates to me that she is either extremely uneducated about spelling and grammar or not very familiar with the English language. However, I've recently learned that she has moved into the area. In fact, she's probably about 15-20 minutes away from where I live. I understand the difficulty of meeting new people in a military town. Part of me wants to offer to spend some time with her and see if we can click, but a large part of me is very unimpressed by her online personality which discourages me from wanting to meet with her. Anybody have any opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you have opposing views and you already find her uneducated I'd say pass. I have met a few moms IRL and some with different viewpoints, but I found them to be educated online as well in person. If you genuinely like her despite go ahead and meet and see if you enjoy her company, but by unimpressed I am thinking you don't really and are just hoping she's different in person. What if she's not though and is calling all the time etc?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• IMHO - if you are not friends with her online, then I wouldn't do it.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You could try to hang out, and if it doesn't work out then don't contact her again.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 11:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010