what to entertain my 8 yr. old son for 4 hour trip

so we are going to san antonio this weekend, and don't know what to bring for him to entertain himself with. any suggestions?

cataquiroz24

Asked by cataquiroz24 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Travel

• Do you have a portable DVD player? That' what we bring on long trips, plus some books, and of course my son's DS.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• A 4 hr trip? Why not a book?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Hand held game system and books!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• We have a DVD player for my kids, they also have MP3 players and Nintendo DS's.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• That is not a long trip at all- go to the library (without him or if he comes, have him play on the computer) so you can choose a bunch of books (don't show them to him until the trip) like all about how to make pyramids, knights, sea creatures, where's waldo, and so on.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Do you have an iPod, Nintendo, Leapster, something he can use to pass the time for a bit, even if it just listening to music or an audiobook? I personally can't read in a vehicle, but he can read a book. He may just nap or watch the scenery, too. 4 hours isn't that long.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• They also have notebooks and colored pencils in the car......they love drawing so that entertains them for awhile.
    colethky

• Puzzle books, paper and pencils, crayons etc, his gaming system, his favorite CDs, DVDs, hand held car games like the travel versions they sell, books.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• the thing is that im bringing my laptop but it only has a charge of 1 hour and 56 mins. so it doesn't last long and it has pokemon games that i downloaded, so how do i do it, if the portable dvd cost a lot now
    cataquiroz24

Comment by cataquiroz24 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• We always play games like everyone counts a different color car or finding the most ridiculous sign or we sing fun songs (I have 6 kids so it's really hard to entertain all of them). Those are the things that usually work best for my kids.
    nyraerikson

Answer by nyraerikson at 11:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010