What's the funniest thing you or someone you know has said to a telemarketer?

My MIL was telling me about a guy that would just keep repeating, "But I don't like popcorn!" LMAO

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 12:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• This isn't really funny, but a telemarketer kept calling my house phone repeatedly, so my sister answered the phone (she was about 12) and told them that my dad didn't live there anymore. It turns out that time it was the contractor that was building our new house! We felt so stupid.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 12:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'd heard that a way to get your name off of their list was to act as though you were crazy. So I told one that I was waiting for the green men to take me on their ship, so I really couldn't listen right then. There was silence, then goodbye. I think it worked. But I decided not to go with the green men after all. I came to CM instead. heh.

Answer by Bmat at 12:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My cousin always lets her daugher (4yrs) answer the phone and just chat away. We came back into the room and she was lecturing him on my little ponys
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 12:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• People might think me horrible for "exploiting" my son's Autism, but since he loves to talk on the phone, I let him talk to telemarketers. His echolalia drives them nuts, and they usually don't call anymore after the 3rd time.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• When one called my MIL asking for my FIL who was deseased, she said "sure, I'll give him the phone" and placed it on the shelf next to his ashes. An hour later the man was still on hold. :-)
    I talked to a lady once who was trying to sell windows to "Ms. ___" which was my mom's last name until she remarried and my last name at the time. After 20 minutes and getting the poor ladies hopes up I broke the news that while I was technically "miss _____", I was only 16 and couldn't buy those windows. She was so pissed!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We used to get these marketing calls for an extended warranty company- and I used to say, no thanks, no thanks, no thanks.

and then, my husband was home one day, gets on the phone and says, Oh, we'd love to get involved with that, it's a great deal! I've got a bronco out back that hasn't run in five years.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I don't know this person but I think this is hilarious! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7YEbpjCeqg&feature=related

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• one of my cousins and I would answer "(insert any name here) 's house of whores. . .how may we pleasure you?"
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:18 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I say no thanks right off the bat If that does not work I just tell them I tried to be nice. then @#%^$*()^%$##@! you can only wonder! LOL
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have told a telemarketer that I couldn't talk because I had a Pagan full moon ritual to attend.....THEY hung up. Thing is I was telling the truth, there was a ritual that night.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2010