what do you tell your son about his testicles

my 4 year old son is asking about what his testicles are and what are they for. What should I tell him?

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He sounds very inqusitive!My boy was the same way at 5.Have you discussed where babies come from yet?If so,maybe you could explain that when he grows up they will make the seeds for the for a womans eggs? (Sorry if this seems to much,I was always very open with my kids when they had questions)

Answer by flowerchid72 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Don't tell him what my daughter told her brother at that time of age (their just peanuts) ha ha!!!. At 4 their still a little too young to understand. Use reverse Psycology on him and ask him what he thinks they are? If his answer is close to what they are leave it at that. If not, Ask him, really quick, (Do you want to read a book) or something like that. That reverse psycology always worked with my 2 kids. Good luck. (Already been there!!!)

Answer by strozilove at 7:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• When my son asked where babies come from,I justtold him that a dad carries a seed that he gives to the mommy when they love eachother.I didn't go into great detail until they were older.But trust me, no matter how uncomfortable it may be to talk about,its better to hear it from you first.Kids have wild imaginations!The more you discuss things with them,the stronger your bond becomes and they will grow up to trust you and come to you with their problems,instead of,say,the kids at school.

Answer by flowerchid72 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Oh good Lord I haven't run into that yet! My twins boys are almost 5 and I have caught them checking out their parts and I didn't say anything. I'll have to let dad answer that when they decide they want to know. They have asked my where my "wee wee" is and I just told them that girls and boys have different parts and that mommy and sissy are girls so we're different. So far that answer was acceptable for them and they left it at that. I'm not looking forward to the more in-depth questions. Good luck and I'm sure I'll be asking some questions soon on this topic.

Answer by mamawendy at 11:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My S/O is a nurse and his son knows about those things because he feels like he needs to know..but not the baby making part early for that! We were so embarassed when we went to the book store one day and S/O picked his son up and put him onhis shoulders and he yelled..."you're hurting my penis!" I though I was going to die! There were too many people around!

Answer by kwazylisa at 11:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• i told my son they were his boy parts and thats what made him different from girls.

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• We are very open with our son, and have told him that he has a scrotum and a penis. He is only 3, so he hasn't asked further than that yet, but I will tell him the basic truth whenever he gets to that point. The way we see it, it's his body, we might as well tell him about it.

Answer by DeylansMama at 3:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• i say the straight up truth worded were he can understand. that all the parts of our body have a special job or reason and that part contains the ingredients to help make a baby someday when he gets big and is married. When the baby is inside its mom before it is born, if it is a girl that special part stays on the inside and if the baby is a boy that part goes on the outside.

Answer by hendrickson at 3:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2008