would you let your kid go??

dd is 6, he rdad has only been in her life for the last 3 yrs, however, he recently told me (2 months ago) he wants nothing to do with her anymore..which is fine!! sucks for her, but..i cant force him to. the thing is, his brother (my daughters uncle) asked me a while back if he could take alexis to the beach overnight one day this summer, i said i would think about it..but that i probably wouldnt have a problem with it, he is a nice guy, but he really hasnt spent that much time with alexis, he came over here in april for her 6th bday to give her a present..she didnt even really remember who he was, he was here for 1 hour, and things went fine, but still...that was 3 months ago..and now because of everything thats happened with alexis' dad, i dont think i wanna let her go...although i know nothing "bad" would happen if she did...is keeping her home because of her dad a good enuff reason to tell him no?? what would you do??

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't let her go for several reasons. For starters, she isn't familiar with him and he isn't a big enough influence in her life as an uncle. She doesn't know him well enough to be comfortable with him without you there. I would question his intentions. Wanting to take her overnight when he only sees her for an hour or so every few months is questionable. He may mean no harm, but as her mother, it is your job to be protective, especially since she is only 6.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• ... Does he have kids? Why does he want to go to the beach with a little girl he hardly knows? I would have to say no. Politely of course, but he has no business with your daughter if your not there. Especially after what her dad said. My cousin's husband had a child from a different marriage. She came to visit us for Christmas. The grandma of the little girl begged to please see her daughter's daughter. So after called the little girls mom, she went to stay with her grandma.

12 hours, and a million phone calls later, the grandma put the little girl on a plain back to Georgia to her mother. Apparently the Mom was upset with her ex (my cousins husband) and wanted her daughter back to teach him a lesson.

Moral of the storey, Don’t leave your baby with anyone you don’t trust with your own life. Why would you trust them with your babys?

stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 12:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• whether my hubby and I are ok it won't change the fact that my daughter will not be allowed to go on an overnight with an uncle??? I will not allow that.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• NO I wouldnt, But thats just me
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would not let her go if it was my child. I only trust her with people I know very well.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 12:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would tell him you do not feel comfortable yet..It just may be to soon for you. he should understand
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• over my dead body that's the only way my child would go, I don't trust anyone with my kids when it comes to water, I would end up being stressed all night thinking if my baby was alright.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i think you need to trust your instincts hun. i dont blame you at all for feeling this way. i would be questioning why now suddenly he wants to spend time with her, kinda fishy to me but im paranoid to begin with.and as for her father and i say father cause i feel dad is an earned title and it sounds like he hasnt done a whole lot to earn it. anyways as for her father this is his loss, he has no idea what all he is gonna miss out on but if he doesnt want anything to do with her then its better he isnt there anyways.
    tylersmommy54

Answer by tylersmommy54 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'm not one to jump to "what are his intentions?" My concerns are more about the fact that she barely knows him and he, her. I think to start that they would be better off with a shorter visit - maybe he could take her out for an afternoon activity (maybe to the beach) and then work up to an overnight stay. I think it's great that her dad's family does want to be part of her life, even if he doesn't. It will probably help her to have that connection to her paternal side.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• if i am reading what you said correctly, and i think i am based on everyone elses responses, the child really doesnt know the uncle. i might see it if the uncle was a BIG part of her life (like a stand in dad) but also i wonder how well YOU know the uncle. you say you know that nothing "bad" would happen but how do you know that if he hasnt spent much time with her and already he wants to take her overnight? that just spells trouble... you cant judge a book by its cover... im learning that within my own family. my younger brother (someone who looks and acts like a normal 13 year old boy) is a preditor and you would not know it by watching him with my kids... but that doesnt change the fact that one time he forced a young girl to do something to him... so be careful and if you want my honest opinion, no dont let her go...
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2010