How do I get my 2 year old to go to bed at night?

My 2 year old fights my husband and I every night at bed time sometimes it takes us up to 3 hours to get him to sleep. So I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to make bed time easier on all of us. It's getting to be a very frustrating time of the day.

jaredsmommy222

Asked by jaredsmommy222 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again even when it doesn't work. It sounds like you are doing some insane things with sleep and your toddler. Forget bedtime. Do you have a bedtime? For awhile forget routines and anything else that could look like a trick for making him fall asleep.

Let him fall asleep on you lap when he is ready. I have a 22 mo grandson and there is nothing more wonderful than having a toddler fall asleep in your arms or on your chest totally melting into you. When things calm down you can start trying music. Play music videos or music and hold your son until he falls asleep. Don't worry about independence. You have 16 more years to worry about that.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Can you be more detailed in what is going on? Is he in a seperate room, did you ever co sleep? Is he in a crib or bed and how new is the bed? My daughter sometimes takes hours, sometimes not. LoL And what is your sons reaction?
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My three year old was sleeping in his bed and recently from our move has hated going to bed, but I just stick him in there, read him a couple books, sing a couple songs, say his prayers, and I am out what he does in there in his bed is fine, as long as he stays in bed. He has a night light, so whether he talks to his stuffed animals, reads a book, sings... whatever it is he stays put though. If he doesnt he gets disciplined.. Hes learning each night. Part of it too is my husband is the bigger authority and he just tells him to sit and he sits.. so its been helping.. I dont mind the discipline because I need a break.. I am sahm and am with him 24/7
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• start early, warm bath, books, thankful for, kiss and in bed~door open, little lite on~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Thanks Ladies =) I will have to try some different things and see what works. To answer DonnaPinitonya's questions.. He did sleep in the same room as us until he was about a year old and then we got him on a really good schedule going to bed at 8 pm in his own room. He is in a big play pin because his crib got too small and we are looking for a toddler bed for him but he can climb out of the play pin, he has been in the play pin for about 6 months when we moved from Utah to Arizona. His fighting us at bed time has just been going on for about 3 or 4 months. I have tried a lot of things. My husband and I say prayers with him every night and I try singing to him I even try sitting with him until he falls asleep and he will throw fits or sometimes just refuse to go to sleep. But if I try to leave the room and just let him go to sleep on his own he just gets out of his bed and we have to keep putting him back.
    jaredsmommy222

Comment by jaredsmommy222 (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2010