in your opinion how old should your child be to bring them to the beach...

even if theyre too little to play. just bring them just to go. i really want to go sometime soon. but i have a one month old. so im not sure if that will happen this summer. i might have to wait til next year. we love the beach. it just might be too windy.

allykins165

Asked by allykins165 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• She's fine. Put a hat on her, some sunblock and set her under an umbrella. Go enjoy the beach.
    Both my babies were born in the winter. I didn't stop my life because it was -30 I just bundled them up and we went out. I figured they needed to get used of the elements anyways. Why not sooner than later.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I took my daughter at 4 months, she loved it we watched her and let her explore the texture of the sand and took her in the water, it was sooo cute.
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 12:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No, keep her out of the sun for six months- Also, no sun screen until after age 6 mos-the skin is too sensitive up until that point. This is what we advise our Nicu patient/parent population upon discharge.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:55 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have taken babies to the beach as newborns~no sun~mostly to walk in sling~watching they don't over heat
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i know not to use the sun screen til 6 months. .. the wind was my concern because ive been told it can cause very bad colic from swallowing the air. and obviously they cant breath very well in it either. i would def put an umbrella up to block the sun. but it doesnt block it completely. the rays bounce off he sand and water too. this sucks. lol i will just wait til next year. my 2 year old will be disappointed. she loves the beach. but she has little pool at home. lol
    allykins165

Comment by allykins165 (original poster) at 1:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It depends on the beach, the time of day, and what you are going to do. You could go for a walk along the beach with your baby in a sling on a cool evening or morning. There have been problems with kids getting sick with bacteria in sand.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I took mine at 3 weeks, in a sling :) They stay out of the wind that way. Both my kids loooveee the beach! We are lucky to live by the ocean and lots of lakes :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• we dont live too close to one but i dont mind the drive if it means getting to go. lol
    allykins165

Comment by allykins165 (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My son at 4 years has never been to the beach. I am okay with that. I hate beaches. But we do other awesome trips!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Babies don't get colic from wind. Colic is by definition a baby being fussy with no known cause. Babies are in cars all the time with windows down. Wind is not a problem. You wouldn't want sand blowing in the baby's eyes but if it did you could wash it out with saline. I grew up living literally on the beach. I lived on a lake with a beach in front of my house and both of my grandparent's houses. One grandparents was 3 houses away and the other grandparents were about 2 blocks away. Everyone was on the "beach" and lake all the time with their babies and that was before sunscreen (I'm 52).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2010