Hi all, yesterday i went to doctors for my regular checkup at 35 weeks and she told me that on 37 week she will do my internal checkup to check the baby's position, can u guys tell me what it actually is? im kinda scared, is it painfull?

SunainaUsman

Asked by SunainaUsman at 12:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Its just like a normal check up but shell feel to see if the babies head has dropped head down. Even if it hasnt dropped at that point there is still a lot of time before birth. i didnt even get checked for that specifically because it doesnt really mean much at all. it wasnt painful
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• just like a normal pelvic...and no, not painful.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 1:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You don't have to concent to this. It's not a necessary test and it's not even evidence-based. There's no reason to have a vaginal exam if you don't want one. There are other ways to tell the baby's position without having to put anything into your vagina. It can sometimes be painful... it was for me. And it doesn't tell you much about when labor will start or how labor will go.

I'd just inform your doctor that you will not be concenting to the internal exams. No reason to be worried then :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It is a pelvic exam, or vaginal check. You do NOT have to do that, and besides that, your doctor should absolutely be able to tell you the position by palpating the stomach. If she says that she has to know if you are dialated or effaced at all, that is not true. It does not matter if you are or not and is not a good indicator of when labor will start. A woman could be dialated to 5 for weeks, and go over due, and conversely, a woman could be closed and tight and have her baby that same day. Essentially, vaginal checks are pretty pointless, unless you think that there is something there that shouldn't be there, like an arm or the cord.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It can or cannot be painful. It all depends on your body. Your doctor will check to see how far dilated you are, if at all, and feel to see if the baby's head is down. It is invasive and not necessary, but it is very common.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It isn't really painful just a little uncomfortable they are just checking to see how far dialated you might be
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It is an unnecessary pelvic exam. If you don't want it, say so. She can tell the baby's position externally.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• With my pregnancies I never did this. Mine was evidence-based care, no reason to do this.
    ;- /

If you want to know baby's possible position, have an experienced pair of hands palpate.

(*I have never heard anyone say that getting their cervix checked was pleasant, enjoyable, totally painless... lol)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I guess I'll be the first, getting my cervix checked was pleasant, enjoyable, and totally painless. It was pleasant because I wanted to know how dilated I was, it was enjoyable to know that my baby was doing good, it was painless.

I had like six of these checks cuz I went two weeks over due... so, just as an FYI and to get the other perspective, many woman want to know the pointless little details of how dilated they are (even though they are no indication of how far away labor is). I was 4cm dilated for over a week, and then was induced.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2010