What is the most effective way to induce labor at home?

I just lost my mucus plug about 2 hours ago and I am ready to get this baby out how do I induce myself?

NathansMommy918

Asked by NathansMommy918 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• sex....sex....and more sex ;-) take a walk and I've heard that spicey foods sometimes help <--- don't know that much about the last one. Be careful using caster oil though
    marriedmomto5

Answer by marriedmomto5 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You don't. There is no safe or effective way. Go to bed and try to rest. It may be the last rest you get for a long time. Lay on your left side, the baby gets the best blood flow if you are on your left side. If you can't sleep watch tv, listen to music, or read. Do not take castor oil. You can give yourself diarrhea for days.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• sex ( ride that dick,stay off your back) lol
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 1:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Sex.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Evening primrose oil!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The same thing that got you pregnant! SEX! My husband and I had some steamy sex when I was 39 weeks and as soon as we were done, contractions began. My son was born 11 hours later! However, it's not going to happen unless baby and your body are ready, so be patient. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Motherhood teaches us Patience. We can start learning this lesson in pregnancy, respecting that there is a good reason Baby is still inside... If normal life hasn't brought baby out then it's just clearly not yet Time.

You can try things that are low/no-risk like walking, sex, stairs, spicy food, pineapple, etc...
    But be aware of the things that increase risks and dangers like castor oil, herbs, nipple stimulation.

Most importantly is respecting the Reason that baby is still inside.
    Good luck with this and with Motherhood!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• oh, BTW, losing the plug is not necessarily an induction of labor or being ready for labor.
    (Neither is dilation or water breaking, etc... )

Together though, with intense (not necessarily painful) contractions, labor is likely... hopefully...

You can lose the plug (etc) months/weeks/days before labor starts...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Sex cator oil spicy food there is some recipe online for a dinner that is supposed to induce laobr not sure if it will work... hey baby you can ask your baby nicely to come out Lol
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 3:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Well sex but because sperm helps thin out your cervix I think lol, it doesn't make you actually have contractions. Reaching the big "O" might cause you to have some contractions though. Like someone said losing your mucus plug doesn't mean that you will go into labor soon either, it can grow back lol.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 9:19 AM on Jul. 15, 2010