Why can't I sleep????

Ok, so my husband seems to think I have a sleeping disorder, but I keep telling him he is my sleeping disorder! If he is not snoring, he is breathing so loudly he might as well be snoring. And, he falls asleep in like 3 minutes. I don't even have a chance to fall asleep before him. And if I do fall asleep, I am a light sleeper ~ unlike him ~ and I wake up during the night. And if I go to the couch to sleep, I fall right to sleep in the quiet living room! I seem to go in spurts ~ a few weeks I don't sleep good and end up sleeping more on the couch and a few weeks I am better ~ can sleep in bed all night and if I wake up, go right back to sleep. Its not like I ever get 8 hours of sleep, but don't seem to be sleepy when I hit the pillow... But then it is so hard to get up in the morning ~ especially after he leaves for work and I have the bed to myself! Guess I needed to vent! Anyone else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• He might has sleep apnea. My husband has it and he has to wear a mask at night. Also, heavier guys tend to snore. If he is heavy, then have him exercise. He won't snore as often and he will be a heathy person :o) Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'm a light sleeper myself. My husband has insomnia, so he's in and out of bed a lot. Whenever he gets up, he wakes me up. Whenever he gets back into bed, he wakes me up. He's also a snorer, so when he does finally manage to go to sleep he goes into a very deep slumber and snores insanely loud.

Before we moved we had our own bedroom (we're living in a living room right now...) and after I would get him up to go to work, the bed was just too inviting not to go back to for some extra Z's.
    SereneButterfly

Answer by SereneButterfly at 6:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I feel your pain, I'm a light sleeper too. On nights where I'm having a lot of trouble I take a Melatonin tab, it's all natural and helps me sleep within 30 minutes. So much better than sleeping pills.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 8:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If you are getting close to menopause or pre-menopause, your hormones may be getting out of balance. You can also experience some of this during a regular menstrual cycle. Insomnia is a part of that package, unfortunately. You might try taking a relaxing bath just before bedtime. Also, melatonin is helpful to some people. I have sometimes taken Tylenol PM to help me get to sleep. It's just enough to help me get to sleep. As for your hubby, try holding him really tight. I have found that causes my hubby to stop snoring. I have no idea why this works with him, but he will stop.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Have you tried any of those teas designed to help you get to sleep? I have not, but have friends who love them. Just one idea.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have the same problem. My dh has literally fallen asleep standing up! He is asleep within moments of his head hitting the pillow. I lay awake for hours sometimes (actually, I get up and play on the computer or watch tv if I can't go to sleep). And I cycle too, it's not every night that I have problems going to sleep. Sleeping on the couch is better sometimes, but some nights it doesn't matter where I am, I just can't sleep.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010