oral medication for my 5 year old

my 5 year old has the hardest time taking oral medication, like the liquid childrens motrin, she makes herself throw up. It s really frustrating especially when I'm trying to lower her fever and make her feel better. We've tried giving her the capsules that look like candy, the gummy ones and even supositories, she does better with the supositories but they recommend we stop doing that since it can wear down tissue and shes old enough to take direction. We've mixed it in her juice and let her press the syringe. Its very hard and very frustrating. Any advice?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 6:22 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Can you put the liquid medication in applesauce and feed that to her? I know when I worked at the day center for mentally challenged adults, we did that for some of our clients. Some also took pills in their applesauce or in yogurt.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• u can always mix the liquid or chewables (crushed) into her applesauce. We had to do this in the nursing home with Alzheimer's patients but it might work with ur dd
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 6:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes I agree.... Applesauce, yogurt, you must mix more than what the medication is.
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 8:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Check with your pharmacy to make sure whatever you put it in doesn't decrease the medicine. We had to hold down our 2 year old to give her medicine. It was hard. Instead of squirting it in there all at one time, we did a few drops at a time in the back of her throat and then blew on her face. That was the advice her doctor gave us. Eventually she started just taking it normally. With lots of praise and rewards.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2010