Preschool

So my daughter is a pretty good kid, but has never gone to daycare or anything like that where she is around a lot of kids. She starts preschool in September and I am worried that she is going to want to socialize and not listen. She took dance for 6 months and sometimes she would just want to play during class. Has anyone elses child gone to preschool without any form of "structured" care and if so how did they handle it?

MooNFaeRie30

Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am a preschool teacher and have had kids who did not have any prior experience with a school setting. These children usually ended up thoroughly enjoying school. They loved the interaction, learning, and socialization. Don't worry she may just surprise you :)
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 7:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• yes my daughters went to mommy and me preschool and yes at first it was hard for them to take directions, they were actually redirected a few times. The good thing is that they weren't the only kids that were called out there were a few kids that were there for the first time and also needed to be redirected, the teacher was very good and very fair. I'm sure your child will not be the only one. Talk to your daughter and let her know that school is gonna be fun but she will need to listen to the teacher. I'm sure she'll do great and its awesome that shes goign to preschool there are alot of kids that don't have that opportunity. Good luck.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My children didn't go to daycare before starting preschool at age 3 3/4 (they're winter babies so they were starting school a year later due to birth date cut-off), and that is the point of preschool--to teach them how to follow directions, play socialization and group games, work independently, plus learn the basics--numbers, shapes, colors, alphabet, etc.

Here in PA, KINDERGARTEN is optional! I of course, sent my children, but I was surprised that there are some children who don't start a formal school education until they are 6-7 years old!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I sent my 4 year old to preschool last year and he has been home with me. He was one of the BEST kids in the class. Some kids in daycare pick up bad habits from other kids and are not any better listeners than those not in daycare. The structure should help her with listening as well!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• She may listen to her teacher very well. Talk this over with the teacher. Do you get to visit before school starts? Also, if things don't go well discuss with teacher if your daughter is in the right grade for her emotional development. Our son should have been held back a year. The teachers in nursery and kindergarten urged us to do it, but husband would not agree. I should have insisted. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I am wondering the same thing about my DD. She starts preK3 this fall. She turns 4 in December otherwise she could have started VPK here. I am hoping she listening and follows directions from the teachers. She needs that structure right now. I wish you all the best =)
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2010