How do I stop my 4 year old from getting out of the bed when its bed time?

She will get back up and say she is hungry, thirsty or not sleepy etc. She will get up a couple times. How can I get her to stay in her bed once she goes to bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sometimes It Helps to lay with her until shes asleep or even sleeping alone. Ive always used a favorite bear when tucking them in to bed(good friend for them that they an cuddle) Make sure there are no sweets given after certain times. Having a set bed time everynight(body tends to get used to that)
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 7:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have this problem with my 3yr old sometimes. I make sure he has his monkey to sleep with and some water by his bed. I lay with him for a few minutes, but not until he falls out bc that is a habit I broke him out of and do not want to start again. When it's time for me to leave I tell him that mommy has to get some sleep now too. Another thing that has worked well for us is a bed tent. They sell them at Walmart or Toys R us. He would play in there until he passed out, it was great until it broke. We are getting him a new one this weekend.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We told our children once that they were not to get up again. You can pre-empt some of this by making sure they have had a drink of water and gone to the bathroom before lights out. You tell them it's bedtime and not to get up. If they get up, we spanked ours and put them pack to bed. The reason for the dsicpline is disobedience and disrespect for a parental directive. It is imperative that you establish that parents are in charge of your home, and that children cannot just do as they please. Laying the groundwork now will save you much heartache later on and will make for a much more peaceful home. Every child has in his nature the desire to do his own thing and to show his parents that he doesn't have to do as they say. It is up to you to teach him that you are the authority in your home and disobedience brings painful consequences. This is about much more than going to bed.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I never had this problem, but saw on super nanny the idea of sitting on the floor near the bedroom door, with your back to the child, no talking. It showed them that you were nearby but they were not to get out of bed. Just one more idea. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2010