My one week old eats and sleeps great during the day...then after about 6 PM she is feeding every hour or so until 12 or 1 without really sleeping in between. How do I get her to do this during the day instead? Or do I just get on her schedule?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 7:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try not feeding her every hour or so after 6pm. Give her a bath,put her in the swing,Bouncer or rock her. During the day wake her up for every feeding undress her,Change her diaper, but try to get her to eat most of her bottle Do what you have to to keep her awake more during day..
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with Silly. Get her up during the day and play with her, make faces and things. Do baby yoga.. just generally do things that are fun and active, then at night, she should be more tired and willing to sleep. Make sure to keep lights low and/or off at night, and maybe play soft music or have a fan blowing.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 7:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It is normal and it generally takes about a month for a newborn to be more awake during the day and sleep more at night.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• She hasn't a schedule. She's still brand new. With there being more noise and activity during the day and more quiet and less light at night, she will soon adjust naturally. At one week she is still following her prebirth patterns.

If you get desperate to soothe her off to sleep, playing whte noise to a baby so young works wonders! Put on a tuned out radio, fairly loudly. Works a treat! She won't be used to total peace and quiet.

You can try having her sleep with you too at night. Me breathing into my little ones faces worked fab too.

I see she's your first - CONGRATULATIONS!
    GentleMam

Answer by GentleMam at 8:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• She's one week old.... Feed on demand, she will eventually fall into a routine, but now isn't the time.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You can try waking her during the day to eat. I did that with all 4 of mine (and now currently doing it with my 5th - 1 week old) and they quickly got their days and nights straightened out. I'm waking her at least every 3 hours to eat during the day, at night she is sleeping for 4-5 hour stretches (I don't wake them at night, I let them sleep as long as they can)

Answer by missanc at 8:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• my son was like that to the first week he would be wide awake at night and sleep all day. i tried moving his schedule around so during the morning when he would be sleeping iwould wake him up and feed him. and at night what helped a lot, the doctor told me to give him a binky (pacifier) and that worked a lot now he doesnt use it anymore but his sleeping better. now he wakes up during the day and only drinks one bottle at night. good luck
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• She's one week old. Feed her when she's hungry. Cluster feeding in the evenings is very common and normal with newborns and young infants.

She will have a routine very soon, but she's not ready for one yet. Be patient with her and with yourself.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It will take a few weeks for baby to figure out her days & nights. I think the best thing you can do is keep things low-key at night & more lively during the day. You should still be feeding on demand, though - do not try putting off feeding her for a couple of reasons: if you're nursing, the constant "cluster" feeding will help regulate your milk supply, babies have a very strong need to suck, so nursing or a bottle is comforting to her, and she needs to know that you are there for her - she is still so new & everything is more than likely a little confusing and scary to her. I know it's tiring (my daughter did that for 3 weeks after she was born, I was exhausted!), but you just kinda hafta go with the flow right now & sleep during the day when she sleeps! You're supposed to be relaxing, anyway!!!! Congratulations on the wee one :)
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• she is a week old. momma so sorry but you are going to have to deal with it till her schedule settles down. being such a newborn her body is still on the auto feed cycle from being inside you. i know you are likely exhausted but she will settle in to a better routine soon. dont be afraid to ask for some help, sleep when she sleeps, dont worry about housework or laundry etc right now. just focus on her and yourself.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2010