Two brothers collide in fatal head on crash

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/98485484.html

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - State police say two brothers collided in a head-on crash south of Hood River that left one of the men critically injured and his wife dead.

Lt. Pat Ashmore says a tow truck driven by 25-year-old John Arthur Harvey was southbound on Highway 35 at about 7:10 p.m. Tuesday when it struck a Toyota Corolla driven by his 20-year-old brother, Westun Lee Harvey of Hood River.

The crash critically injured Westun Harvey and killed his wife, 28-year-old Rosario Harvey, who friends say was several months pregnant. John Harvey was treated and released from the hospital.

Ashmore says it appears both drivers crossed the center line before the collision.

Westun Harvey is a Marine lance corporal and home on leave.

Denzel Green and her daughter, Judy Svoboda, heard the crash and ran to see what happened.

CONT

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 8:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's is terribly sad.  My heart hurts for the family :(

I'll skip the condemnation.  If it was a game, I think they've been punished enough.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 8:22 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• How horrible for that family!!
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No!

WOW what a tradegedy

I sincerely hope it was an accident and not a game...How could he live with himself if it were a game

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• How awful...
    SereneButterfly

Answer by SereneButterfly at 8:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would wait till after the investigation is over till I made any judgement, but no I would never risk my own life playing any games.

It is awful any way it happened.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would certainly hope this was just a really really awful fluke accident, but stranger and more stupid things have happened.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would never "play games" on the road under any circumstances. no matter who was in each car. That is so immature and wreckless. I can't believe these thing are still going on.
    I really hope that was not what happened. But....how could they each be coming at each other on the road? Was it a huge coincidence or did they plan it? How horrible.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I hope it was just an accident. It would be sad to think a pregnant woman was so stupid to ride with her immature husband while him and his immature brother played a stupid game on the road. People do stupid stuff all the time so I wouldn't be shocked by it.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• happened.

“The gentleman in the tow truck jumped out and was yelling, ‘Oh God! Oh God! Call 9-1-1!’” Svoboda said.

Locals who know the family say the accident may not have been as random as it seemed. They say the brothers may have been playing a game on that section of roadway as they drove toward each other.

The game is to have two vehicles approach each other and trade lanes (if the road is clear) to pass each other on the wrong side of the road, the locals say.

State troopers based in The Dalles are continuing the investigation but won’t say why the two cars crossed into opposite travel lanes.

OK, really, if you were the husband and your wife was pregnant would you ever think to play a stupid game like that? Would you ever think to play a game like that anyway? I just wonder what is wrong with some people. So sad, a young woman and her baby died for a GAME.
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• That is so sad!!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2010