Do you believe in baptizing children if they aren't educated/concerned about the faith?

Like dunking clueless 9-yr olds at a temple who don't know or care about the faith the parents follow and are only going along with it because they are more or less forced to do so?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think it should be done to a kid that is utterly unconcerned an uneducated about the faith, like a PP said, that's just getting wet.

But at the same time, I was baptized at 8, and easily understood the baptismal covenants, because they were simple - and it was something I (of myself) wanted, so 8 was plenty old enough for me.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• OP sounds to me like you need to more come to terms with your upbringing that be angry about babtism.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Religion is a personal choice and I find it offensive when people judge each other. If it is my faith and belief that a child should be baptized then you shouldn't meddle in it. I will respect your choice and you should respect mine. By saying a parent is forcing a child to be baptized before they can make an informed choice may not be what I believe is the case. Its similar to judging a parent on other child rearing beliefs and choices. Do you spank? Do you do time outs? Do you feed them sugar? Do you feed them organic food? Are you a stay at home mom or work outside the home? Is your husband the king of his castle or an equal partner? Do you allow children to pierce their ears/ At what age? Its all a personal choice. So if you think you are going to force someone to do what you believe and not allow them to do what they believe, you are living in the wrong country because this one is free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My belief is that someone should be baptized when they feel ready, to me it does not matter if they are 5 or 55 it is their choice. My son is 10, still has not been baptized, and I feel like he will take that step when he is ready.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• very few children by that age would be CLUELESS as to why they were being babtized. its babtizing BABIES that has always confused me. one they dont need it, they have God's free pass till the age of reason and can choose . 2)they cannot be educated to make a choice.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes, there are many steps along the way, this doesn't mean they can't change when they get older, or that they are locked into that faith for the rest of their life, they can still decide to do whatever they want as they get older.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I just try and be respectful of other's beliefs and religions. It isn't my place to judge. Just as I feel it isn't your place to judge me.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Well, we believe in baptising at 8, and every 8 year old I have meet knows why they are being baptised. It is their choice. They know about their faith. My children will be baptised at 8 as well. Why not give our children a little more credit. They do know more than you think sometimes.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Catholics baptize their children at a very early age, although this is not a requisite, it is a way to bless them in their new life, no harm being done, they can later still choose whatever they want as far as a religion.
    Older children should be educated in the faith they will be baptized in.

Answer by older at 8:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I believe children are innocents and you should be baptized later in life when you have accepted Jesus into your heart and reestablished your relationship with God.
    RubyPlusOne

Answer by RubyPlusOne at 8:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2010