Do you/did you use a breast pump?

Curious because they are so expensive and not sure if I will just go from breastfeeding straight to formula.

RubyPlusOne

Asked by RubyPlusOne at 8:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used a medela electronic breast pump with both of my daughters. It was actually not all that bad.
    EmmasMommy1014

Answer by EmmasMommy1014 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i did use
    worked great
    did feel like a cow at times, but worth it
    they are pricey
    call local chapter for breastfeeding moms? maybe some resources for used pumps- i know gross, but the pump does not get milk on it and you can get replacement parts for the ones that are touching the milk
    ?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Only to get rid of that early days engorgement. Worked a treat.
    GentleMam

Answer by GentleMam at 8:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes I got a medela double electric new on ebay for 1/3 the cost in the store
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I did not use one either time, I , managed to breastfeed for 14/15 months with both of my sons without using one. Neither of them ever took formula or a bottle. They went straight from the breast to sippy cups.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 8:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No, i found it to be much easier to milk myself. I would just hold up a steril glass & squeeze my nipples until i fill up the glass. Those pumps hurt me & never got as much milk out as i could with my own hand.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I did, but I think only for the first 4 months or so. I liked having a supply in the freezer just in case I needed someone else to feed her.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I used a battery operated breast pump, that I seem to remember buying from either Walgreens or ToysRUs. I don't remember it being that expensive and it worked great! I froze breast milk to be used for whenever I needed to get away. I made it a point to take time out every other day, so that I didn't feel like just a cow to my baby. Hubby and oldest son also learned how to care for the baby, during my absence.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• For parttime work a single electric edela works well. Full time needs the double electric (you insurance may cover it) You don't want a cheap crappy pump. The investment will pay for itself. Also learn how to pump effectively here: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I work, so I had to use one during the day. I used a Medela Pump In Style. I think you really only need an expensive pump if you're going to be pumping regularly. If you just need to pump occasionally, a less expensive, manual pump will probably be enough for you.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2010