"Mommy, I hear voices in my head."

WHAT am I supposed to think about this and WHAT am I supposed to do?

My oldest daughter (4 1/2) has said this before but about hearing songs in her head. Today she said it again so I asked her what the voices were talking about. She acted like she didn't want to answer me at first, then when I asked her for the third time she said, "They're talking about cookies."

I said, "What are they saying about cookies baby?" And she said, "Eating cookies."

So, curious as to what she is hearing I asked her if the voices sounded like her or someone else and she said someone else... like a kid in her class.

Is this normal or should I be worried? (I know it may sound silly but I'm honestly a little thrown off by it and don't know if I should worry or not.)

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 8:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Signs and symptoms of childhood schizophrenia may include:

Seeing or hearing things that don't exist (hallucinations), especially voices

Having beliefs not based on reality (delusions)

Lack of emotion Emotions inappropriate for the situation Social withdrawal

Poor school performance

Decreased ability to practice self-care

Strange eating rituals

Incoherent speech

Illogical thinking

Agitation http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/childhood-schizophrenia/DS00868/DSECTION=symptoms

I'd take her to see someone just to be on the safe side.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have a 4 1/2 year old and he likes to play by himself a lot and talks to himself while he does it. He makes his cars have voices. It's very normal at that age to have a very active imagination. It's also a very good thing, shows creativity. Your daughter says she hears songs, well I know that I get songs stuck in my head but I'm not running off to see a shrink because of it. Now if she were to be having trouble(behaviorally) I would suggest looking deeper into the issue. You also need to keep in mind that if she is around other children(and it doesn't have to be often), lying will be something that she will try. It's all a pat of growing up and learning.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'd rather be safe than sorry and take her to see a child psychologist.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• At this age kids can think and say a lot of off the wall stuff so I won't be concerned at all. As long as her behavior is okay then I wouldn't worry.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Children this age have a very vivid imagination, I would let it go for now and monitor, if it gets worse them I would seek a doctor.

Answer by older at 8:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Lots of kids have imaginary friends, too, to the point that a place is set at the dinner table for them, etc. Do a little research on the web, maybe browse some books at a good bookstore, and run it by her pediatrician. Also, casually let her know that if she wants to talk about the voices you are always there. Best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• you have the usual list of suspects,imaginary friend,schizophrenia,spirits,and an overactive imagination,or.....she's lying for attention.Intelligent people will often get whats called "worms" where songs,sentences,or ideas get stuck in their heads in a loop. If she starts talking about these voices telling her to do bad things,RUN to the nearest psychologist. That could be schizophrenia. My uncle's disorder manifested itself when he was 6.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it at 4.5 unless her behavior is also in question. My 8yo will sometimes tell me that his brain won't let him do something or that he can't concentrate because his brain is full. I think kids just don't have the words to describe what is going on in their head so they describe it the best they can and it ends up sounds strange to us. If she's saying the voice sounds liek a kid at school, the kid could be someone that has made an impression on her- good or bad. If you're really concerned about that part of it, ask about the kid who she says the voice sounds like, maybe there's something going on at school that she's trying to clue you in on but doesn't know how. I wouldn't run her into a shrink's office just yet.
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 9:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would take this seriously. "I hear voices in my head" sounds to me as if she is implying that she doesn't think of them as her own inner voice but someone else's. I would ask her more about it, in a conversational tone. Try not to be upset. I would ask questions like: Have you heard the voices before? Do you hear them often? What do they talk about? Does it scare you? I would just try to stick with simple, easy unalarming questions like those to get more of an idea about how serious it is and what you should do.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Your child is using "suggestive reasoning on you" at least that's what is coming across by me. Unless it comes across harmfully I wouldn't create a problem out of it. It's like wishful thinking. What child doesn't want a cookie now and then and the commercials are full of food ads so it's hard not to think about it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2010