Foster child..question2

Last night I asked about making and easier transition for my 13 year old cousin which my mom is getting as a foster child. My mom does not have any other foster children, this is an emergency placement and my mom lived alone until this point. The girl arrived late last night. I am going over in a little while and we are going to all discuss things that have happened and rules and such, this girl has been bounced around and her mother is a drug addict in jail now. I just want some idea as to what to expect, I am hoping she will not try to run away or any of the things my Uncle has said. Any advice on how to make things easier on her and my mom would be great. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell her that you are happy that she is with you, but sorry for the circumstances. Tell her that you don't know anything about her family or her's situation, so as of now, the only thing that you know about her is what SHE tells you, not what you've HEARD. Tell her that you don't know what's going to happen in the future with her family, but that she is YOUR family too and you intend to take good care of her while she's there. Tell her the main rules are to respect each other and to respect each other's property. That there are more things that you'll discuss along the way, but that you intend to help her and hope that she'll "help you help her" by communicating her needs. God bless & good luck! :) Ask more if you need to. Also, check out the groups for Foster/Adopt Parenting & there are groups for Kinship Care. Taking care of a hurting relative can be a hard job sometimes. Hope this helps! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2010