What can I let my dogs chew on w/o feeling guilty?

The majority of those "bones" pet stores sell are just a bunch of chemicals shaped like a bone. The few natural bones they sell are SO expensive. I have 2 big dogs who go through them in no time. My wallet can't keep up with them. But I don't like feeding them those fake papery things. What else is there? I can't afford to just buy them a cow or pig to chew on. Neither of them has taken to chew toys. They just like ripping up stuffed animals.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 9:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pets

• honestly - let them have stuffed animals! i have a serious chewer, and he knows he is NOT allowed to chew up anything of mine. but he can chew up his own toys. he seems to favor tennis balls - they are pretty cheap. he plays fetch with himself first (it's HILARIOUS to watch), and when he settles down, he completely demolishes it. he also likes those ropes you can buy. he'll play tug-of-war with my brother's dog.
    they have chew toys at the store, they are red, i don't remember what they're called, but they are for tough chewers. they're a hard red rubber, and come in different shapes. my dog can go through some of them pretty quick, but the one we found was the best was one that is almost bone shaped. those come in different sizes, too. my brother had one, with a rope in it, and my dog started chewing it up in no time the other day.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 9:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• oh i was going to add, it won't work with stuffed animals if you have kids with lots of stuffed animals and your dogs steal them and eat them. but if they're pretty good about only getting the stuffed animals when they're on the floor, it's a good way to teach your kids not to leave their toys on the ground!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 9:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• LOL My DD has learned that. The digs aren't allowed in her room if no one's watching and she knows any toys out of her room are dead. They both have their own Teddy bears to tear up but I want to give them something more challenging and tasty. I guess I'll just get more bongos.
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Buy one of those rubber Kongs. They are hard rubber basically indistructable and you stuff them with peanutbutter and treats. They will literally spend hours chewing and trying to get the treats out from inside of it. Our Golden...king of chewers!...loves his.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Kongs! That's what I meant.
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Kongs, Cuz (but cut the feet off else aggressive chewers can chew them off, swallow and it can cause an obstruction), Nylabones--they last for years.

I have an aggressive chewer. Better to spend the $$ on the good stuff!
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 12:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Kongs are thick rubber. Not easy to rip apart. Stop buying your supplies at specialty stores. You can buy rawhide at walmart. Ask the butcher if they have any cow bones you can have for your dog. Go the grain elevator for cheaper prices on food & treats.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Bully Sticks are good for chewing on as well. All natural, no chemicals and dogs love em (at least, mine do!)

Don't give bones that are cooked (most bones in petstores are ) these are a big no-no for dogs. Raw is best.

Also, filling kongs with peanut butter and raw hamburger then freezing will last for awhile as well. :)
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 12:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Kongs are worth the investment. My Pit had one from birth to death. My stepdad was actually the one who bought it for her, his Rottie was buried with hers. She like my Pit was a habitual chewer, and it seriously kept them from destroying everything in the house. My fur kids now have smaller Kongs, because they are smaller jawed breeds.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• While lots of dogs LOVE the cow femur bones from the butcher, cow femur bone is actually stronger than tooth enamel so it can lead to excessive and premature wear on teeth.

Rawhides may work for some dogs, but if a dog is a very aggressive chewer, chunks can be torn off and swallowed whole and cause obstructions. Obstructions are very expensive to fix.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 11:02 AM on Jul. 16, 2010