I don't know what to do...

My daughter, tonight, has woken up in screaming fits three times. She always sleeps through the night. She sounds like she has mucus in her nose. And when she breathes, it kind of sounds like mucus. I don't know what to do, or if she's sick, but all of a sudden, she's very clingy. She will start in hysterical screaming fits if she can't see you. This wasn't my little girl two days ago. And she's coughing and she sounds like she is going to vomit. Any ideas? Should I be worried? By the way, I am a first time mom and I am freaking out because my husband and I don't know what to do.

kennethscirce

Asked by kennethscirce at 3:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she have a fever? If its just congestion, try sitting in a steaming bath with her? Help her clear up the gunk. My kids always get super clingy when they are sick. *always* Sometimes the best you can do is just hold them and rock or cuddle in a comfy chair, talk softly and comfort them. I've done that a few nights with the lights off in our living room with sick kids. For the future you may consider making sure you're stocked with Vicks vapo rub for infants, tummy (mylicon drops), infant tylenol, saline nasal solution and one of those bulb sucker things. So you can address any non-emergency illnesses easily.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• She may have come down with a small virus. If you can call her pediatrician hopefully they have someone on call if not then I would call the hospital and make ask a nurse, they are usually pretty helpful. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you little one starts feeling better
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• it sounds like shes just getting a cold of some sort.. you can always go to wal greens or a 24 hour pharmacy and explain her symptoms because it doesnt seem that serious. and they can give you advice on how to deal with that, and if they think it is more serious then they can tell you to go to the er.. i really dont think it seems THAT serious.. children tend to get clingy when they arent feeling good. give her lts of loving and be calm with her and sweet and comfort her....i hop eshe feels better :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• We called the hospital and they didn't really say much of anything to us. I wish there was a 24 hour store where I live, but there isn't so no going to Walgreens.
    kennethscirce

Answer by kennethscirce at 3:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• they didnt tell you anything that it could be or if you should bring in your baby or any medicine or anything to give her??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• No. What they told us was to ride it out for the night.
    kennethscirce

Answer by kennethscirce at 3:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• then it must not be serious, i would ride it out too, try sitting in the bathroom with her and running the shower with steaming hot water it will help her breathing. and keep her warm and give her a bath and make her feel very comfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I just wanted to say thank you. This is the first time my daughter has gotten sick, so it kinda threw us out of whack. She is sleeping right now so I will let it try to heal itself, and if it gets worse, I will call the doctor. Thanks everyone.
    kennethscirce

Answer by kennethscirce at 5:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2008