what do u do when your husband has a short fuse with your child when he dose something wrong?

shymom121

Asked by shymom121 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• it depends on how bad he reacted to the issue ,my so has different disapline styles then me if i think he went over board i tell him that i think he could have handled it a lil diff
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• we end up fighting usually... :(
    I tell him he's being a jerk and to mellow out and then it usually turns ugly for everyone unfortunately
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If you really believe your husband over-reacted, you speak to him in private about it. Never dress him down in front of the child. And when you speak to him about it in private, you should be respectful, not accusing. It is also helpful if you can show him what might have been a better way to have handled this situation, without sounding like a know-it-all, mother knows best, etc.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I completely agree with Nanny B. My husband and I have completely different parenting styles. I actually worked with him on lowering his voice and not yelling instead of focusing on anything else. I showed him by example that the kids would actually listen to me better when I remained calm and spoke to them with respect and authority. I talked with my husband first, away from the kids about what I wanted us to work on together when talking wtih the kids and then when he'd start yelling all I had to say was, "honey" and motion with my hands down and he takes a breath and tries again. It's taken a long time to make any headway but it's way worth it and I know the kids really appreciate it. He expect the kids to think like adults so it helps when after the situation we talk about what the kids were actually thinking. Now he doesn't think they are trying to misbehave and is calmer.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 9:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• thank u that advice was very helpful from all of you.
    shymom121

Comment by shymom121 (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with Nanny B too.
    marie85

Answer by marie85 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with her too...unfortunately it doesn't work with my man-I have tried for years... he is hell bent on "my dad ruled out of fear and I turned out fine" and he thinks I am a doormat
    *sigh*
    good luck with this hun
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with Nanny B as well....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• my hubby and i almost seperated over his treatment of our 9 yearold he is hard on her, if my younger one does the same thing it was oh don't do it again but my oldest would get screamed at. i told him treat them fairly and talk to them no yelling so he started listening he knew i would seriously take them and go
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010