homeschooling!

My best friend has three kids and is always saying how she wishes she could homeschool them because our school systems are so bad. and sometimes I wonder if it is really offers more benfits to homeschool kids rather than send them to public school. So please mommies give me your honest opinions!

l0v3myg1rl5

Asked by l0v3myg1rl5 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• The only reason I wonder that I shouldn't homeschool my future children is because of the lack of interaction amongst people their own age. In a school, they also learn firsthand what people of all backgrounds are like.

Still... I want to homeschool my little ones, though my husband doesn't agree (he made the above arguments)
    tavczakbabe

Answer by tavczakbabe at 9:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• that is my husband he said we went to public school and it helped make us the people we are today.
    l0v3myg1rl5

Comment by l0v3myg1rl5 (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• when I think back at what I went through in the school system I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!
    granted, I've seen some weirdos that home school, but I've seen a lot of weirdos that sent their kids to public too-

I think the school system is getting worse, not better. Granted, I don't remember hearing about guns in the school, but there were a lot of Japanese stars, knives and all other kinds of weapons. one day a girl pinned me to the wall and put a knife to my neck. said I was 'shaking my stuff' around her boyfriend. I had no idea who this girl was, or who her boyfriend was.

I was out of school for a year due to a medical problem and that was the year that I had made the most progress! my test scores increased among other things&progress dropped when I returned to school.
    my school counselor even asked me why I didn't drop out since I seemed better off on homebound!
    cont-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• just because kids are home schooled doesn't mean they have to be cut off from the rest of the world. Most of my friends were outside of school in clubs, orchestras, etc.
    there are benefits to both, it's up to you,but I know what worked best for me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I homeschooled my grandson and he did fine. He interacted with other kids after school.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• As a homeschooling parent I'll ask you to think about this in regards to the whole social thing. When in life (after school age of course) ever be locked in a room with 25-35 other people their own age? Also think of todays schools when are these kids being social really? Decreased recess times, lunch times told to stop talking and eat because they have limited time(I was told this by a public school parent), most of their day is spent sittting silently in a class room listening to a teach not interacting with one another and being "social".
    As homeschoolers my kids get to interact with other people daily, we go places thru out the week , shopping, homeschool fild trips, homeschool play groups, plus they both have regular schooled friends they see on weekends.They just learn to interact with ALL AGES not just the ones that should be in such and such grade.
    Michele975

Answer by Michele975 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2010