Why won't my 6 month old sleep through the night?

He always wakes up in the middle of the night about 3 to 4 times from 8pm-6am. Sometimes its to eat but others times there is no reason. He won't sleep through the night and I am starting to think I am doing something wrong. Help me please. Thank you!

Mandie521

Asked by Mandie521 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal for a baby to not sleep thru the night until 18 months. You aren't doing anything wrong.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Lots of babies do not sleep through the night until much later. He is too young to be expecting night time wakings to be over. You might try sending your husband in to sooth him back to sleep if you know it is not time for a feeding, but he's not ready to sleep the entire night. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My son didn't start STTN till he was about 8 months and when he was eating more solid foods which were satisfying his hunger. Milk alone was not doing the job. Just be patient, and have your husband go in to soothe him/change him. My wonderful husband soothed/changed our baby every night for months, and for about 2 or 3 months now, our child's been STTN, and he'll be 1 in a couple of weeks.
    GL!
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 9:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My DS is 19 months and he still wakes up once a night. Wish I had some better advice.
    Kissybratzmom

Answer by Kissybratzmom at 10:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Only thing wrong is that you're expecting anything else! You're doing fine!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2010