Help!!!! I have Mother in Law issues with my child that isn't even born yet!

1st off when my son was born my MIL was pissed because we named our son Justin Sott and not Justin Garrett after her brother who had passed away. My husband and I decided not to name our kids after family simply because of conflict from families and because we wanted our kids to have their own names. Earlier this year my mother passed away I miss her mare than the world. My husband and I are now pregnant with our 2nd child whom is a little girl. My MIL found out that we are naming our daughter Autumn Kimber, she threw a fit saying she needed to be named Autumn Lillian after her mother who had passed away. (continued on 1st post)

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 3:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• When I asked her how that was fair because I lost a mother too she told me to hyphen the middle name so it was Lillian-Lynda after both or our mothers. After I told her no she told me that Autumn Kimber sounded like she was calling a dog and that I should change the name at the last minute to lillian and sign the birth certificate so my husband has no say in the matter. What is this woman not getting and what the hell can I say to get it through to her?
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• im sorry ... just ignore her name youjr baby what you want .. she will just have to get over it
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 3:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I would tell her, You have already named your children let us name ours. and leave it at that. i wouldnt bring it up anymore to her and if she brings it up say "its already decided and its not changing so it needs to be dropped."
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Tell her that the people who CREATED the baby will also be NAMING the baby. Unless she was present at that time she has no say.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 3:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think you've already got some good advice from these other ladies. I want to add that your lucky you live in an enviroment where you have a choice. My best friend from high school grew up in Kotzebue, AK. It's a small native community. Her middle name was Henry, because she was the next baby born after an elder passed away, so she had to be named after him, lol. It would have been considered disrespectful of his family if they didn't name her after him.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I let my mother nag me until I agreed on a name she wanted for my daughter and have regretted it ever since. Name your child what you want and ignore her!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Funny you said that; my own mom also told me my girl name sounded like a dog; oh well; we like it, and its not their choice... so in my opinion, to put it ever so bluntly; if she wants to name babies maybe she should make some more instead of staking claim on yours!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 6:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Wow this is incredible, these ladies have gotten it right on the nose. Your child your choice of names. If your mil isn't happy about that well.....  too bad. 

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My MIL was the same exact way when we named our first son. Her answer is just give them 2 middle names. I was like, um no. Hubby and I decided not to name after family cause if we name after his side, my side throws a fit, and if we name after my side, his side throws a fit. So we decided screw em' all.....lmao Eventually she will leave you alone about it. If she's like my MIL we still get comments 2 years later, but we just ignore her....lmao
    tiredmomma06

Answer by tiredmomma06 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Thanks all, I have yet set he straight again although I give it 2 days before she starts in yet again. The woman is driving me crazy but ph well hubby and I love the name we picked out.
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 6:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2008