How do I get my 4 year old son to stop chewing on his shirt???? He does it during nap time usually even at school.

Mrs.Wilkerson

Asked by Mrs.Wilkerson at 10:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like it has become a source of soothing for him to fall asleep, if it's only done at nap time. Do his teachers see it as a problem? He is old enough to talk this over with, using care and love. Perhaps something could be substituted.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• He will stop eventually my son used to do this just make sure he has his chewing shirt on before you step out somewhere and when you get to your destination change his shirt.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• this made me smile because my brother used to do something similar with his tshirts... he is 37 and long since stopped.... but it sure annoyed my mom... i think he just out grew the habit...
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 10:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You must try to focus his mind on something else, the more you say no the more he will continue to do it.
    If he starts chewing on his shirt, say here baby hold your teddy or blanky and continue to distract him. Just say ewww that is yucky why don't you hold this or do this. Don't say no, just refocus his attention to something else.

Have the teacher use the same method. My daycare was wonderful, they should help the same.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Its just a comfort thing. Is it really that big of a deal? Just send an extra shirt in if it bothers you.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• This problem was one of the reasons I put ds in polo shirts; ds would chew the collar. You could try to refocus this habit with one of these www.chewelry.ca.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I meant that ds would chew the neck which would leave it stretched out--he DIDN'T chew the polo collar.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think I would give him one shirt to have for chewing on . One that he is not wearing like a blanket. Only let him chew on it and not what he is wearing. It should not be long before he will stop chewing on it because the other children will start saying some thing about it .
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My son did the same thing, he would chew on the collars and make them all stretched out with holes. It was a phase that didn't last very long I just showed him what he was doing to his shirts and wouldn't let him wear the ones he had chewed holes into outside the house.
    Ashley53

Answer by Ashley53 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It's his way of self soothing. He will grow out of it by age 6 I'm sure. Don't punish him for it, or yell at him to stop cause it bothers you or you will create another issue all together. Just be patient, and a loving mother and let him deal with his child hood habit.
    crystivotaw

Answer by crystivotaw at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010