Night Terrors

Okay for the past year my daughter has woken up screaming looking almost possesed! At firt i would freak out cry now its more calm and just a sad feeling. I found out it was night terrors which is more common in boys. Anyway im wondering if anyone else has a child with this sleeping disorder and wanted to know have you delt with it and how old were they when they stoped?

Asked by whitenena at 10:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dd had night terrors. First thing don't wake the child it could be dangerous. Hold the child in your arms, this will provide comfort and prevent them from hurting them selves. Next thing is even if they look awake they may not be, remain calm your panic will cause more panic. My dr. finally suggested a pet one they can sleep with. We got a dog in the last 2 yrs we only had 3 episodes verses every other night. If you need any thing else feel free to pm me any time.

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• When my daughter was having them I gave her a Angel Bear and told her that it'll keep away the nightmares when she sleeps with it. And it worked, she wasn't waking up with nightmares anymore.

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• nightmares and terrors are different she has no idea whats going on and does not remeber what happened the next day. its almost like sleepwalking ( which she does to) but with her screaming and freaking out like NO NO NO MOMMMMY and HELP ME NO NO NO. and she fixed on something thats freaking her out ill talk and shell look at me but not know who i am freaky stuff.

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Okay is she getting enough rest? My son suffered from night terrors, and we moved his bedtime up,,I think a visit to the doctor maybe in order,, it is pretty common, but I slept walk for my whole life,, and went to a sleeping disorder clinic, helped a bunch,, good luck!

Answer by kimigogo at 10:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My oldest went through this

ask her if she is scared of anything in her room
    Make sure she doesn't eat or drink anything after supper
    never ever try and wake them up when they are having a terror

Answer by LOVE_mygirls58 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My dh child does it at her moms house but not at ours. We are trying to figure out why it only happens there. The BM is blaiming us for these problems but we don't have the problem with child waking up or having night terrors. BM says it happens every single night at her house and wants to stop visits.

Answer by MommyB2010 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Both of my kids have night terrors which my husband had as a child.

My son had them worse, but seems to have grown out of them or he at least doesn't wake us any more (he's 14).
    My daughter is 9 and still has them.

It can be rather alarming to wake up to terrified screaming. The first few times I thought they were being attacked in their room (really scares me every time).

Anyhow... we start talking to the kid and make them walk to the kitchen, turn on the light and get themselves a glass of water. Making them do everything...with LOUD verbal instructions. They are such in a trans that it is dificult for them do this basic thing, so they start to wake up or if not wake completely come out of the "terror" and go back to sleep.

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• (cont...)

Both kids get them when they are over tired. My SS realized this so we would say together "I will have peaceful relaxed sleep" 3 times before bed on nights where he was afraid he would have one. We never brought it up... but if he did... we would say it. Honestly it seemed to work... I actually think he still does it.

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:39 AM on Jul. 16, 2010