Should Americans ALWAYS be told the truth from their government?

WASHINGTON – In the thick of the Vietnam War, senators harrumphed about White House arrogance, fretted over their own ineffectiveness, complained bitterly about misleading information from the Johnson administration and debated the value — and potential damage — of telling Americans the truth.

In more than 1,000 pages of previously classified testimony and transcripts from 1967 and 1968, a picture emerges of the political, social and moral crosscurrents that members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee wrestled with at a time when the shadows of Vietnam colored their thinking on problems foreign and domestic.

The documents were released Wednesday by the Foreign Relations Committee and its chairman, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., a decorated Vietnam War hero who later emerged as a forceful opponent of the war.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The truth shall set you free!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think we should be told the truth WHEN we are told BUT I dont think we need to know as much when it comes to wars. How do you win a war if you plans are on the front page of the New York Times!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes, except in matters of national security. I think that claiming this label would happen for many a thing, but there are just some things we don't need to know. I don't need to know the defenses implemented on Air Force One for example. But fiscal matters, all laws I have to follow, and things like that.....yes.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with Momof.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 11:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Sweet I have read and heard actual (taped) conversation regarding this topic. Very interesting to hear. I just do not see how knowing every little bit of behind the scenes information helps at the time it's happening.

Regardless, Vietnam was in the loss column.

I hope 1 day we all learn how to solve problems without resulting to violence. It amazes me that kids are taught in school to use their words, violence is never applauded in the work place and EVERYONE scoffs at domestic violence and child abuse, yet war between countries is seemingly the only viable option. Makes no sense, IMO.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100715/ap_on_go_co/us_vietnam_documents

"It is incredible to read through these papers and hear the voices of many of the Senate's giants wrestling with Vietnam and all its complexity at a time when many of us, including some of us on the Foreign Relations Committee today, were serving as young officers in Vietnam living out those very same questions in a personal way," Kerry said.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think its HORRIFIC that it WOULDN'T be 100 % HONEST....

as it id supposed to be

OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE , FOR THE PEOPLE

THEY work for US.....we don't work for THEM.....

HONESTY SHOULD BE A non-negotiable!

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Not in the midst of what is happening or planning on happening, but certainly afterward or when the threat or is over, I think our government to make it clear exactly why we did what we did, what the plan was, and if they met their objective.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have no issue with "that's a matter of national security and confidential". I would rather them decline to release information than lie to us
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010