How do I get my 4 year old daughter to stop picking at her fingernails?

I can't tell you the last time I had to cut my daughter's nails. She picks at them throughout the day. I notice it especially if she is getting nervous about something or getting in trouble... I told her if she stops we can go somewhere and get our nails done ~ she was very excited about that, but still can't get her to stop. Any suggestions?

jekrmom

Asked by jekrmom at 10:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I bought some of that "stop nail biting" fingernail polish. It tastes HORRIBLE and I felt bad for putting it on her but I HAD to stop her and it worked.

I got it from walmart....its sort of like an oil you put on their nails...its doesnt really dry.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I thought of that, but she doesn't bite them, she picks at them with her fingers...
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I still pick my nails when I'm nervous. So good luck but don't get your hopes up!
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I kind of had that thought too!! Might be quite some time before I can get her to ease up on it.
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• my mother has done it all her life - she's 65 and still does it. If she was biting, then I'd suggest some sour stuff- but if she's picking I really don't know.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• OH ok...I thought you meant she bites them...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

•  

My dd picked at her fingernails all the time. I painted them, and told her that she couldn't pick at them or they would get ugly. That helped, a little, but we still had problems. I even put band aids and scotch tape over them. She hated that because it really did look bad. Eventually, she stopped. It is a habit that they have to get over.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2010