Just when I'm getting along with MIL..

She wanted to visit my child, so I invited her and FIL to our house last night but she said FIL was working late. So, I invited them over tonight, but she invited us for dinner over there tonight.

My child's schedule's been off from teething or something because he woke up early this morning, screaming and went back to sleep when he's supposed to be waking up.

So I emailed MIL and told her what's going on and asked if tomorrow would work, but she said no, so I told her we should be fine for tonight but explained to her about my child's discomfort, so she says "ok see you tonight" Doesn't that make it sound like she's so eager to see my baby that she doesn't care about his schedule being off and waiting to see if he does better today?

Confused.

mypreciousbabe

Asked by mypreciousbabe at 10:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Should you give her a call and talk it over? You said you invited then to your house tonight, right? If you are still up for having them try to insist they come to your house. Your baby should be where it is most comfortable for him when he is having a rough day. Nothing worse than being in someone else's home when baby needs a little extra attention, or sleep, etc. If having them over will be too much for you, because of being thrown off by baby's needs, then reschedule. Be good to youself and do what's best for your family in this situation. There will be many chances to visit when everyone is at their best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• People who dont have babies forget the frustrations of that stuff. Im sure she really wants to see him and she thinks if he is there she will just hold him and he will be fine. She thinks he can sleep there if he needs to sleep or eat there..she isnt thinking about you and your exhastion from dealing with him..she just wants to see him cranky or not cranky.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• They don't get schedules. Trust me I tried and tried to explain my kids to mine, but she didn't get it or think it was a big deal until one day I let her watch them. Now after one day she is all about the schedule, lol.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It only sounds like she doesnt care that much about your child's comfort or needs. All she is seeing is that you are doing what she wants when she wants regardless of your child's discomfort and schedule. Then to have something to say negative about your parenting skills. I would go but let her know in the future your child's needs are first and foremost. Hope this helps.
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 10:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Call her back and ask her to come over,, or let your husband handle it! I find my MIL takes everything better from her son than me!!!!! If she doesn't want to come, then let her wait, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think that when you told her it would be fine she chose to trust your judgment.
    if you don't want her coming over, then you should tell her.

I think you are inventing a problem on her behavior where this isn't necessarily one.
    She's raised kids and has more experience with things like a baby's discomfort and probably doesn't look at it as being as big of a problem as you do. it's up to you if you want her to come over or not, and you said it was fine.

you need to decide what you are comfortable with, if you say it's fine for her to come over and she does, then she's done nothing wrong.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• "I think you are inventing a problem on her behavior where this isn't necessarily one."

i agree. Don't tell someone that it will be fine if you really don't think it will be fine. I think you have resentment towards her, so you over analize everything & make accusations that "she doesn't care" when i'm sure she does. It's a lot easier to over analize & judge someone & certain situations when you have resentment towards them.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2010